1 of 2
Pinch Clamps
Posted: 01 December 2007 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi I just thought I would give you guys the heads up about the pinch clamps on the One and Rise for the 1 pump system.
Before you pinch off the clamp make sure it is pointing away from the kite rather than into it.
I think we all know that a heavy crash will open the clamps The problem is then the next heavy crash the clamps can punsh a hole through the canopy. I had a little hole in the teaching kite but thought nothing of it , these thing happen .Today I checked the kite and found 2 more on different struts in roughly the same place.
I don’t think this is a major issue as this is a kite that is crashed all the time but it is worth checking.

Posted: 03 December 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2006-11-15

I always take those clamps of. If you keep them on the kite, make sure the clamp is facing the strut and a bit upward away from the canopy. Nothing can go wrong this way. I agree that it is not a wise idea to have the clamps point towards the canopy.

Also if you have the clamps face the struts (and a bit upward) the clamp is in a neutral position when you roll the kite to put it in the bag.

Posted: 04 December 2007 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  473
Joined  2006-07-15

I will probably take them off too, I have never clamped them off, not once!

Signature 

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Posted: 04 December 2007 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20

What’s your plan for self-rescue if the LE deflates?

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Posted: 04 December 2007 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2006-11-15

If you kite alone or do kiting a lot far from shore then indeed keep the clamps on. Just make sure you have them positioned correctly and you will be absolutely fine.

Posted: 13 December 2007 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-16

[quote author=“wouter”]I always take those clamps of. If you keep them on the kite, make sure the clamp is facing the strut and a bit upward away from the canopy. Nothing can go wrong this way. I agree that it is not a wise idea to have the clamps point towards the canopy.

Also if you have the clamps face the struts (and a bit upward) the clamp is in a neutral position when you roll the kite to put it in the bag.

Could someone pls post a pic of the way they are supposed to be? That way us new riders can know what you mean. It would suck to get a hole in the canopy from something that seems so easily avoidable… Cheers!

Posted: 15 December 2007 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-09-24

I’d like to see thin light weight neoprene sleaves over the hoses and clamps like on the Ozone sport.
The way I see it,,, it’s o.k. to use an idea that’s already being used by another manu-f,, as long as it’s not a patent infringement, and is worth the effort…

I think the sleaves are a nice touch and would eliminate the canopy tearing issue…..

Cheers Tony….

Btw, I have just bought the 08 rise 10 and 14, haven’t flown them yet but they look awesome pumped up…!

Posted: 02 January 2008 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Tony, welcome to the Crew!

Pinch clamps, we are working on a good solution for the clamps and the potential damage they can cause. For now, do as Sunrise says and just swivel them around so that if they push up into the canopy the sharp pointed corner is pointed away from the canopy.

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 02 January 2008 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-24

Thanks for the reply John,, as well as the “welcome” note.. :D

The kites look great, but I won’t ride them ‘till spring here.
I don’t want to scuff them up on snow and ice, and will use my old C kites for this..
What direction are you heading with the clamp fix,, can you elaborate?
And when might you implement this change ?
I want to buy the 08,  12 and 8, as I love sweet spot kite flying,,, would you be making these clamp cover upgrades this year,  or would I have to buy whatever you design at a later date??

Cheers Tony…

Posted: 02 January 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2006-04-18

I think I am going to jury rig a fix for now. 

I’m planning on cutting the fingers off some old thin neoprene gloves and then sliding those over the clamps for now.  I think this should work pretty well, also the math works out, 1 glove = 1 kite.  I’ll let you know how it works out once I finally get around to it.

Posted: 03 January 2008 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Well, we are doing 3 things:

1) Neoprene covers will be added on the next production run and we will have some extras sent here that we could mail to those who wish to receive them

2) We are having the clamp’s corners rounded so as not to be so sharp…you can do this to the ones on your kite with a file or lighter.

3) We are re-examining the set-up for 2009 and considering alternate ways of clamping the hoses off.

In the mean time you can do 2 things:

1) Round your clamp’s ends to be less sharp. Hit them with a file or melt them with a lighter (Be careful not to melt the kite canopy material!)

2) Turn the clamp every time you pump up so that the sharp corners are turned away from the canopy material.

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 03 January 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-24

Wow !
You guys sure act on modifications that improve the products,,  I wish ever manu-f would listen to it’s customers ideas and concerns !
Much appreciated, and I’m now fully convinced that I made the right choice buying O.R. kites….

Sign me up for a set of covers for my 08 rise 10m and 14m…
    Just tell me what I have to do to get them (my distributor’s address etc.)

I;m planning on buying the 8 m and 12m. in May,,, will you have the kites equipped with clamp sleaves by then?

Thanks again,..

Tony.D

Posted: 04 January 2008 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Hey Tony, thanks for that. We try to react as quickly as possible when our customers or riders suggest an improvement that we agree with.

In the case of the covers for the clamps everything takes a bit of time. We have stock now of kites and more coming in 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 10 weeks from now. We hope to have the new covers installed on the kites but will have extras sent to be included with the kites that go out the door that do not already have them installed. Further, we will make them available to our past customers through their dealership so just contact your dealer and tell them that we have only just decided to do this and ask them to get a set of the covers in for you with their next order.

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 04 January 2008 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-24

Thanks John.
That’s great news, I’ll call him and let him Know I talked to you here..

This might sound a bit too “butt kissy”,,, but you guys are the best I’ve dealt with!!

Thanks again Tony>> :D

Posted: 04 January 2008 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-24

Hey John.
I spoke to my distributor;    Mark Groshens ; from .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)... He said he’d order me some pinch clamp covers with his next order….
He seems to be the “go to guy”  for Ontario’s   Lake Erie,  eastern Lake Huron O.R. needs…

Cheers Tony…:)

Posted: 08 January 2008 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Mark is indeed a go to guy.

I’ll be sure to send them out when we get them in.

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

1 of 2