Total newb surfing question…

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-11-16

PM

I have always wanted to surf, unfortunately now that I live in Finland there are less than ideal surfing conditions…but I do on occasion vacation in the Canary Islands which does have pretty good conditions…

My question is this: Once I (someday) have learned and gotten good at kiting with a board stapless, will that mean I have aquired some degree of the skill needed to surf?

I appreciate the input! Cheers!

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

No, not really. Surfing is generally slower, so your wave reading skills have to be better. the take off is a big part of surfing and is something you won’t experience kiting. It usually workss better the other way around—surfing to wave kiting.

With kiting, the kite supports or balances you, so you are more stable. Also the paddling and duck-diving skills can’t be aquired through kiting.

Sorry about that, I’m sure it wasn’t the answer that you were hoping for.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Joined 2007-11-16

PM

Bummer, your right it wasn’t… Heheh, oh well!

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to learn what they can in a non surf environment so that when they are in a surf environment they can progress more quickly in a limited timespan?(Other than the getting from lying to surfing position) Would wakeboarding behind a boat strapless at the lowest speed possible help at all?  Thanks man, Cheers!

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Skateboarding would help. Otherwise, just have fun trying. Surfing is a progression, and beginners are just as stoked as the good surfers. Kind of like kiting, no matter what your level, there is always a reason to be stoked about the sport.

My other advice, use a mini-mal type board, or even check out S.U.P.

Cheers,

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Joined 2007-11-16

PM

Ok, thanks for the info Gareth, Cheers!

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I quite miss being a beginner surfer.  Back in those days, I’d go out in any old mush, and just have fun with my buddies.  Even when it was a gnarly day, huge waves and blown out, we’d just be on the inside picking off the 2ft mush.  Brilliant.

Now, if it’s not clean and glassy, I don’t go out.  I’ve gone and got myself too fusy over the years, and that’s a shame.

Now I’m learning the kiting, I’m relishing all the newbie mistakes and the joy of getting something for the first time.  Got my back rolls nailed, and gonna be trying front rolls next.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I have spent a fair amount of time kiting strappless with a surfboard over the last few months and although its hard to learn, gybing etc.. It has no comparison at all to paddle surfing, paddle surfing is one of the most tiring and hard things to learn. And unlike kiting, it takes years to even begin to look like you know what you are doing!

Stick to the kiting as the main sport dude.

Ben

p.s. kiting strapless is so much fun once you have cracked the basics, brings a whole new meaning to balance and foot coordination!

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!