07 rise, adjusting line lengths
Posted: 26 August 2007 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-08-04

Hi all,

Had my 8 and 12m out a few times each now since purchase, I use the 50cm bar for both. Been flying it on settings straight out the bag. Myself and very experienced kiting friend feel it flys better and more powered with about 8 to 10 inches of depower line pulled in. The kite tends to oversheet when the depower line is fully out. Another problem starting to happen is the kite is starting to pull to the left a little.

In the past I’ve owned only C kites and have just done the usual procedure and made all lines even. I’m wondering if anyone else has had any issues or suggestions. I never pre stretched the lines so this could just be from the front lines stretching first. It just seems excessive for only about 6 uses.

If tech support have the suggested instructions for correct adjustment that will be great.

Cheers, Love these kites.

Signature 

Quiver:8 & 12m 07 Rise.
“Go hard or go home”

Posted: 27 August 2007 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Chris -

Def. check your line lengths. I had the same experience with the kite pulling to one side and checked my line lengths and found my right line to be about 2” longer than the left and my front lines stretched out about 3”. This difference will lead to exactly what you described.

The lines come pre-stretched but you are dealing with 30m of spectra, it will relax more. General rule of thumb, check your line lengths every 8-10 hours of riding.

How to check:
- use a large nail or stick and nail all 4 lines down into the dirt or off on a fence post (preferably).  Be sure to remove, or otherwise ignore, the kook proof connectors.
- run the lines out and set your bar to full power (chicken loop up against bar, trim line fully out)
- pull back on your bar to tighten all 4 lines
- slowly relax the lines and look for line sag. Longer lines will sag first and deeper than the shorter lines. All 4 lines should sag together if the same length.
- Slide the bar floats up on the bar and use the adjustments to change the relative line lengths.
- If you are really motivated you can swap the front lines for the back lines so that you end up stretching them out to be the same length over time.

Hope this helps!

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 28 August 2007 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-08-04

Thanks, that all makes sense now, the kook proof extensions just confused me a bit. I take it the bridle arrangement allows for the extensions.

Anyhow cheers, I’ll see how they fly tomorrow 30knots with a nice swell can’t wait.

Signature 

Quiver:8 & 12m 07 Rise.
“Go hard or go home”

Posted: 28 August 2007 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

smile

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman