Go-Joe durability

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-07-24

PM

My go-joe broke the other day, and I’m wondering if this falls under the “unusual use” / “act of god” category that eventually strikes most (of my) kite gear, or if I should be annoyed that it broke under these circumstances.

After launching a small (for most, it was big for me) jump, maybe 10 feet up, a foot came out of the strap. Not wanting to land one-footed, I kicked the other foot off and dropped the board into the water. It did some spinning on the way down, and and when I landed and looked for it, the board was upside down, atop a flattened (knocked over but inflated) go-joe.

Back at the launch, it appears that the hold-down strap ripped out of the tube, and left a tear in the fabric there. I’m surprised the bladder didn’t pop, but the slit is small I suppose. The “plate” piece also cracked a bit.

To be clear, I love this product and will probably keep buying them even if they keep breaking this often (this one had about 10 sessions on it), as I love not worrying about board recovery (even after I swam the kite in one time, finding the board about half a mile away was not hard). But I’m curious, is this normal, or might this one have been defectively weak, or maybe I pumped it up too much/not enough? Would love to find a way to make my next one last a long time.

Thanks!

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Send us a photo and we’ll flap you up a new one. We have seen some damage to the Go Joes and are working on making them tougher.

On a side, but related, note: It has recently come to my attention that some people have had issues with the base plates breaking due to the use of the Go Joe with a narrow grab handle.

Ocean Rodeo ships our boards with a 2” grab handle. The belly strap on the Go Joe is designed to go below this handle and, when inflated, pull the base plate down to the board. If you are using a thin grab handle the tension will not be on the belly strap and the base plate will be too loose, leading to breaking. Be sure to check that your base plate is “snap” tight to the board. If not, contact your dealer to have them get you a free grab handle from OR.

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I pointed out to a GOJOE user yesterday that it just will not work or hold up if you don’t install it as per the instructions !!!      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaGM6Zxob8

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2007-04-13

PM

I have pummeled the go joe many many times: aborted jumps, kicking it out, dropping it- and probably best of all- it and board got worked in numerous waves on a rocky shore with barnacles in shoulder high surf- bouncing, twisitng dragging.. NOt even a tear. scratched only. Naish Board was dinged requiring repair. I have been kicking mine around alot as an endurance test- and it is solid.. so I think you got bad luck senor
T

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yeah boy, I have been bashing mine around too and have had no troubles…anyway, we’ll sort you out if you need sorting!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc