RISE KITE Collapsing Wing Tips? - Early Modlel Rise Kites

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

What’s up Ocean Rodeo, I’ve not received my Bridal Mod yet, Fundy Kiteboarding was assured it was going to arrive on Wednesday of last week, it’s for the 12m rise it’s going on three weeks John Z indicated that one was going to be shipped immediately on July 16, I can’t use the kite without the mod as the wing tips continue to collapse no matter what setting I have it on, I’ve got a brand new kite I can’t use.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

I’ve been advise by Fundy kiteboarding that the mod has arrived I’m praying it works, I’ll keep you posted.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

raspberry Waiting patiently for the ‘top secret’ 2008 RISE mod.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

@fundykite: My ‘problem’ too. The strap of velcro that goes over the valve first when you secure it is a bit too long. I’ve shortened it so the velcro won’t give any chance to the deflate valve to open itself during the session. Haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but I think it will have solved the deflate issue which makes the kite do the wingtip thing and stall. I have one of the earliest Rises (I think) and as long as it’s pumped pretty hard I don’t have any problems with it. I love it!

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Jelte, perform the 08 bridle mod. It’s very easy to do and you will not have any problems with wing tip collapse. The kite’s performance is also far superior. Check out the thread for instructions and tips which allow you to get away without extra kook proof connectors and the stopper balls.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

Hi Evan,

Thanx for the tip! I was very happy with my 07 setup. The 08 setup affects the depower range which is something I like very much and also people tell me it solves their problem of too much bar pressure, but my rise’s barpressure is next to non-existent. So I’m not sure the 08 setup is my thing.
But I might change my 12m for a 14m Rise Venturi, that looks very promising….  8)

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi Jelte,

I’m glad your are stoked on the kite, and if you like it the way it is than there is no need to change it. I do want to point out though that the 08 mod does not affect the amount of depower you will get out of the kite.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

Okay, I heard something different, but your information would probably be right!
Just to point out why depower is so important for me:
I was surfing with my 12 in quite a hard swell and a lot of current on the North Sea. Behind me was the surf guru of the island with his 16m. I started surfing this year. He has been kitesurfing for a long time. Not only was I able to keep up with him, I also went a bit more upwind, with 4m less kite!!
So naturally he was curious about the kite (he flies Raven 07 and an older Naish 16m) and at the end of the session he asked me if he could test it. Problem was that the wind had gone down and got a bit gusty. So when someone threw up the kite for him, the kite slowly flew backwards into the powerzone.
I heard him shout ‘Oh, shit!’, and I happily folded my arms to see what would happen, since I already knew what the kite would do. With an almost total lack of wind the kite in search for power flew all the way into the power zone and the kiter braced himself sharply. Then a gust of wind rocketed the kite straight up to twelve. Behind me I heard the kiter say ‘Oh’, but in a puzzled way as if he was contemplating what just happened. He hadn’t moved an inch and he just couldn’t understand. He never had this kind of depower before. 
Then he got on the water and made a few nice fluent backrolls.
He will probably never leave Naish kites, cause that’s the way he is. But he was surely intrigued by the Rise and I will give it to him again when the wind gets over 20 knots! See what he makes of it…

:D