Kiting on Oahu, Hawaii

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Has anyone kited on Oahu that can send some advice my way?

I am planning on checking in with Hawaiian Watersports (the local OR dealer) on the first day. I am going to bring my kite with me and rent a board down there, I think it costs about $10 per day which is better than dealing with taking my boards on the plane with me.

I was hoping someone had been there that could give some tips on beach access and launch sites.

Thanks!
Shane

Signature

Shane
East Coast - Boston/Cape Cod
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Shane, I spent three years on Oahu, most of it in Kailua where HWS is located. My recommendation is that you take your own board with you. Unless things have changed, renting a board costs a lot more than $10/day and sometimes the selection is limited.

As far as riding spots go, Kailua beach park is about five minutes from HWS. The locals are friendly as long as you don’t kook out and ride or jump close to the beach. Also, make sure you pump up on the grass, not the beach. Launching space is tight and you need to be as ready to go as possibly can before you hit the sand. Conditions range from 10-25 knots, with the best riding upwind to leeward of Flat island. If Kailua has light trades and clear skies, head to the North Shore to Mokes. It experiences a localized thermal kick that boosts the trades. This spot is for experts only - waves, shallow reef etc. If you are into waves make sure you don’t drop in on anyone and follow the lineup etiquette!

You can get a general idea of what is happening with the trades here: http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/oahu.php .

Have a killer trip!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Evan

Thanks for the info!

I think I may invest in spending an hour lesson with a local instructor and have him show me the ins and outs.

Signature

Shane
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Shane,
      Kailua is a great spot and the locals are really friendly and willing to help out if you ask, I was lucky enough to go there 4 times last year for work.

Kailua is also a very busy beach and the launch site seems to be even busier.  But the local kiters will let you know the best way to launch and land and how to avoid the kayakers, sun bathers, swimmers, runners, children and brides having their wedding photos taken, which all seems to be happening right on the kite launch site.

I rented boards from HWS in Feb (to try out some light wind boards) they had about a 7 board selection, sizes big to small prices are about $10-25 a day(a better deal if you demo longer)...I think you can also demo kites.

Have a great time, the Kalapawai Market is also a great place for an after kiting sandwich or snack.

Cheers J.

Signature

‘08 RISE 8m/12m, Mako Pro, Mako Wide, Session Harness, Pyro, Crazyfly skimboard

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“j_dog”]Shane,
But the local kiters will let you know the best way to launch and land and how to avoid the kayakers, sun bathers, swimmers, runners, children and brides having their wedding photos taken, which all seems to be happening right on the kite launch site.

Cheers J.

There’s a mission for you.

Got to get into someones wedding photo with your OR kite in the background.  8)

I dont think it would ruin the photo :wink:

have fun, play safe.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Mission accepted: I will try my darndest to get a piicture of a weddimg with the OR as the backdrop. I am going for a friend’s wedding on the beach, so I think I can set that up smile Will post it if I get it!

Thanks for all the input evreyone. I am really looking forward to the trip. Busy/narrow launches make me a little nervous. I don’t want to be “that guy”....

Signature

Shane
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yeah, I agree with J dog. Don’t worry about the lesson if you are already a competent kiter. The vibe in the beach park is really relaxed, and you won’t have any problems as long as you don’t tie up the launch or leave your kite on the sand in between sessions.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

I agree with what everyone has said. Definitely start at Kailua if you are a little unsure of your skills and ask a local how to launch/land and where not to land. They are very careful of all their spots (rightfully so) since they have access issues. Kailua is a great place to learn and improve (once you get past the launch area). Have fun…

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Thanks again guys, I am getting really stoked about the trip.

I have read about how much trouble they have had with kiting there, so I want to be careful. I had a few tourists get kiting banned at one of my local spots, and I want to make sure that is not me!

I tried to hook up with the forums for the Oahu Kite Club, so hopefully I will meet some people there that can show me the ropes. It looks like the locals are friendly and will help out.

Signature

Shane
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132