2007 SLE Bar Mod - Can’t punch up anymore

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

I did the SLE bar mod to a 2006 bar. I can’t seem to be able to punch up no matter how little tension is on the center lines. I uploaded a video on YouTube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DOaQ_lJ7YiE

I hope to get some guidance on how to make this setup work. I assumed one would be able to punch up and the 2007 stopper is not a hard stopper.

Thanks,
Paul

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Hey Buhas,
I think you misunderstand what the “stopper” is supposed to do…
It is supposed to “stop” your bar from moving up your center lines.  It is used to relieve bar pressure and is NOT meant to replace the “punch up” bar functionality.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jeff

Signature

Jeff Doepker
www.kitesource.ca

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

Seriously now, if I wanted a hard stopper, I could have used my old stopper on the bar. What is the actual difference with the new stopper ? What about the safety of this new stopper ?

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

I’ve got the stoppers on 2006 bar with the 2006 center line waiting for 2007, I’ve not had a problem with the stopper, I can rest the bar on it, but if I put any amount of upward presure on it, it’ll release up, I’m yet to take a major wipe out but I’m almost certain the the pressure of me falling and the kite pulling would slide the stopper up the center line, If any wind this weekend I’ll wipeout on purpose offshore and see what happens,  did you remove the line plug in the center line if not no way in hell the stopper will pass, it’s easy to take out I used needle nose plyers.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-01-10

PM

just about to fit the mod to my 07 one.  would be interested in some feedback from the or crew

dan

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

I got the center line loop replaced as it came with the kit. So there is no line plug on the new center line.

I thought the whole purpose of this stopper is to allow you to rest the bar against it momentarily (such a time would be when putting the board on your feet), but with a hard enough yank of the bar (and center line under tension) the stopper would slide up. Have you seen the video I put up ?

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

:D Guys, keep in mind that there has to be tension on the depowercord to be able to push the stopper. While flying the kite I CAN push the stopper further up without any problems. test it again but now with tension on both sides. Easiest to do this is to fly the kite. If this does not work it might be because you use the first edition of the 2006 punch-up bar.

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

Can some OR folks chime in on this ?

Can you or can you not slide the new stopper with a push of the bar ?

What is the point of being able to do this with your hand only ? That is the same as last stopper we had, just tighten the screw to a decent level…

I can’t push the new stopper with my 2006 bar (tension or no tension on the center lines). If one cannot do this anymore I see it as a serious misrepresentation of the SLE bar mod.

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

Can someone tell me what is the diameter of the center line hole in the 2007 bar ?

Thanks.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-01-10

PM

disagree with you sorry - dosnt do what i ASSUMED it would do :oops: .  I just read the spec sheet on the SLE bar:

‘‘easily adjust your bar stopper on the fly!  Slide into place and ride!  Specially developed to allow trim line adjustment even when under load! Also designed not to jam against the upper pulley, allowing safe, reliable leashed depower of your kite!’‘

(phew thats a lot of exclaimation marks)

does not state or imply that you can punch up thru the stopper (they have even done away with that name)

only depower that it gives (and this is stated in the blurb above) is when you release to the leash.

Am going to install mine next couple of days and then off to the canaries for a week so will have a good chance to compare.

dan

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

Ok, that is fair enough, I should have read the blurb. This is my last post on the issue. I am disappointed there’s no official reply on this from OR, but so be it.

I read the blurb a few times and still find it ambiguous and in places irrelevant.

For example:

“Also designed not to jam against the upper pulley”
Who cares the stopper will not jam against the pulley ? How will that stopper ever make it that far up the center line ? You need gorilla arms to get it there as it won’t slide on its own.

“Reliable leashed depower of your kite”
Can someone please explain what this actually means ? Are we talking about pulling the emergency release, and now kite is on the leash? If not, please describe how is the depower of the kite reliable ?

‘‘easily adjust your bar stopper on the fly!”
Ok, I get this. But still it is the same as previous stopper.

“Specially developed to allow trim line adjustment even when under load!”
Ok, so I am now riding against the stopper, and I can adjust the trim line on the fly. But again, this is possible with the old stopper.

When you put this upgrade in context of a safe kite such as the One with long-throw depower, etc I find the SLE bar upgrade misleading as it loses on safety.

I find the SLE upgrade better described by the following:

-Stopper can be adjusted by hand only regardless of center-line being under load or not.
-There is no punch-up ability as in previous year SLE bar. The new stopper will not slide up the center line when pushing the bar. This again is regardless of center-line load.
-The new SLE bar stopper is designed for riding against it and it loses the long-throw depower capability.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

John is on a road trip/demo and is normally the OR person who would respond to this.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

I agree with Buhas.  The new stopper on a bar that relies on such a long throw for depower/safety doesn’t make sense to me. 

In my experience, the stopper wouldn’t release under load.  So if you want full depower in an emergency you must eject from the chicken loop and onto the leash or decide to ride with stopper all the way out - in which case, what is the point?

I switched back to the old punch up after just a few sessions with the new stopper and after riding yesterday in 25+ knots on my 12 M one I am glad I did. 

In fact I might be happier now with the punch up than ever - since removing the line plug, I shortened the plastic connector between the two stoppers and really tightened the screw….with a shorter connector you ride with the stopper lower (= more comfortably) but still reset it easily after depowering.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

Each to his own.I love the new stopper which does exactly what it was designed to do.If you don’t like it go back to the old system.Your are right that you can’t set the stopper too short on the one kites but when the wind is steady it doesn’t matter so much.It is easy to move it to where you want it, ie when doing transitions or jumping move it all the way out.But for going up wind and taking a rest this system is the best.On the punchup system,if you have the screw squeezing the rope tight,  the stopper will not move anyway, not allowing the safety system to work.On the new stopper it works way better in my opinion.At least OR makes it possible to have some different riding options and styles which is another reason OR is the best. Dean

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Whoa. I go on one lousy road trip to California and all hell breaks loose!

The new stopper is designed to do this:

1) Allow for easy adjustment of the stopper’s location
2) Allow the kite to safely de-power when the stopper is under load. This is important because other systems similar to this stopper do not allow this meaning if you have slid the stopper super low down and eject from the chicken loop the stopper will keep the kite powered. (Hence us saying it will allow for the safe and reliable depower of the kite when leashed, since you leash off the trim line on this new set-up. This is also why we needed to design it to allow the pully to still work because if it jammed the pully only half the line’s length could travel through the stopper)
3) Allow you to adjust the trim of the kite even when the stopper is under load.
4) Allow, with the kite flying and the lines under load, you to push with roughly 40 lbs of pressure up and trhough the stopper to gain extra de-power. This is essentially a friction thing and requires some force but is possible

Regarding Cam’s comments that he likes the old stopper better with the line plug removed I would caution him that this could result in the stopper to be totally lockled out if you tighten the screw too much.

Buhas, if you want a couple of the old stoppers we have a bunch in the office as we have been replacing them for others with the new stopper and as a rsult I have a bunch of the old ones. Drop .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) an email and he’ll sort you out.

I would say that the overriding majority of people I speak with like the new system better than the old, especially for the simplicity of the system.

Hope that helps!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

Hey Buhas.  I just converted my Diablo bar and put one of the e-z stoppers on the chix. loop line.  I read your post when it first came out was curious to try it out and see if there were any problems ‘punching through’ it.  I got to try it out today for the first time and had no problems with getting it to move up when pushed with the bar.  If you get a chance to try it on the water you should do it.  Just be ready when you first try it in case it messes up but I can pretty much guarantee it won’t.  The system is simple and works really well.  Also really easy to adjust when flying.