New One Kite "Punch Up"  Bar Photos!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Hi Guys!

Here is the official “pre-release” photos of the new bar system for the One and, for that matter, any existing flat kite on the market.

In summary:

PUNCH-UP BAR
BAR SIZES: 50CM AND 60CM

Designed for flat or ?bow style? kites, the Punch-UP bar provides the additional sheeting control and safety systems that allow the rider to optimize the performance of these amazing new kites.

The Punch-UP Bar can be set up in two ways:

FREE RIDE SETUP (ADVISED) This is our advised set up, allowing the rider to fully depower the kite offering the maximum wind range and safety.

WAKESTYLE SETUP This is for kiters who want to ride a flat kite hard against the bar stopper (Wake-style riding). Full depower is not possible in this setup as the sheeting is restricted.

FREE RIDE SETUP (ADVISED)

PUNCH-UP BAR STOPPER RELEASE:
The bar stopper is set with a friction fit on the centerline. For complete de-power simply smack the bar stopper with force.  This action will release the stopper and allow the bar and stopper to slide up the centerline and de-power the kite. Our testing has concluded that you should never launch a flat kite with the bar stopper engaged. Before launching or landing, tap out the stopper!  This will give the rider maximum de-power in the event of a gust.  To reset the bar stopper, a quick pull down on the bar will reset the bar stopper.

How the bar recovery leash works:
Bar Recovery leash:  Our innovative lower bar stopper allows the rider easy access to recover the control bar if the upper bar stopper has been released.  Simply grab the lower stopper and pull down to retrieve the bar.
Stopper Reset: Now, with your bar in hand, pull the bar down with force. This motion will reset the upper bar stopper and not require you to reach up to reset you bar stopper.
Adjust bar sheeting range: To adjust length of bar stopper simply shorten or lengthen the leash line between the two stoppers to adjust the throw.

CHICKNEN LOOP LEASH:
To be used when Punch-UP Bar is used in Free Ride Mode (bar stopper must be punched up for full de-power.)

WAKESTYLE SETUP

Stopper Lock: For advanced wakestyle riders who like to ride with maximum bar pressure against the stopper the punch up release function can be locked off.  Simply attach the lock off line from the lower stopper to the just above the chicken loop. With the stopper lock activated you will loose the safety of the sheeting de-power.

FRONT LINE RE-RIDE LEASH:
The front line leash position should be used if the rider has the locked off Bar Recovery leash.

Features that can be used in both setups:

CHICKEN LOOP TRIM CLEAT:

No reaching up to fine tune your kite trim, the new centerline trim cleat is right at hand! The free end of the center line Velcro?s off to the chicken loop side.

GRAB HANDLE, REAR LINE RE-RIDE:
Backup safety system that can come in handy during launching and landing. Simply grab the handle before letting go of the bar (you must be unhooked) and the kite will depower off to the rear line while you maintain control.

FRONT LINE RE-RIDE LEASH:
This leash should be used if the rider has the locked off Bar Recovery leash. Front line leash can also be used in Free Ride mode.

MANUAL CHICKEN LOOP RELEASE:
Simply grab release collar located above the chick loop and thrust away. Resets manually.

CENTER LINE SWIVEL:
Eliminates front line twists.

BAR FLOATS

CARBON BAR
Strong and lightweight our carbon bar features an oversized center hole with a low friction nylon insert that minimizes line chaff. Asymmetrical grip colors help keep your left and rights organized during bar spins.

Here’s a sequence of shots showing activation of the Punch-up and re-set:

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Here are some more photos of the bar!

Bar complete:

Chicken Loop Trim Cleat:

Center Line Swivel (with leash attachment):

Manual Release:

Punch Up Lock Off
(Stops upper stopper from releasing)

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Hey OR!  Bar looks fantastic!  Can’t wait to use it!

All the best,

Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

it looks like a great bar.
I think that with this new system riders can ride or make no-hands jumps, withouth having the problems that other bow-bars create,isn’t it??
Really good work,many people claim about this problem.

8)  8)  8)

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

[quote author=“Andrea Cignoli”]it looks like a great bar.
I think that with this new system riders can ride or make no-hands jumps, withouth having the problems that other bow-bars create,isn’t it??
Really good work,many people claim about this problem.

8)  8)  8)

Looks like a vastly improved version of my Sonic bar.  How much pressure does the stopper require to release?  Can you actually do no hands stuff without it releasing? 

How much does the bar retail for (MSRP) without lines?

Ed

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

Great looking bar, just wondering if there is a small ball or handle on the depower line or is that just a knot in the end of the rope to pull on?

If so it may be difficult to depower with large mitts on, then again I’m hoping you really never have to use that more than once a session due to the huge depower by moving th bar in and out.

Signature

Skooner Jr.

You will Soar!
-Scott Stapp

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

[quote author=“Skooner Jr.”]Great looking bar, just wondering if there is a small ball or handle on the depower line or is that just a knot in the end of the rope to pull on?

If so it may be difficult to depower with large mitts on, then again I’m hoping you really never have to use that more than once a session due to the huge depower by moving th bar in and out.

It’s easy to adjust on the fly - even in lighter wind you will fly the kite with the trim strap pulled in and cleated off a little bit (optimum trim) - the end of the line velcros onto the chicken loop beside the cleat, forming a loop that is easy to grab.  You should not have a problem with mitts on.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

[quote author=“Anonymous”]

Looks like a vastly improved version of my Sonic bar.  How much pressure does the stopper require to release?  Can you actually do no hands stuff without it releasing? 

How much does the bar retail for (MSRP) without lines?

Ed

Hi Ed.

Your best bet for hands free stuff is to lock the stopper ball off with the lower lock out knot. Be sure to use a proper leash in this set up though and launch un hooked!

MSRP is $180-$215 USD, no lines.

JohnZ

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Can’t wait to try the new set up !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

recover

To recover the lock you have topush down the bar but this will full power the kite and in strong wing is a bit dangerous. Can it be recovered by pulling with one hand?

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

can’t wait to get mine now!!

Signature

16m one, session harness and a pyro pro equipped….. 9 on the way soon!
LOVELY!

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

Wow! great info. Thank you.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

Re: recover

[quote author=“guest”]To recover the lock you have topush down the bar but this will full power the kite and in strong wing is a bit dangerous. Can it be recovered by pulling with one hand?

If you’re so powered up that you can’t pull the bar down, I’m wondering why you’d want to lock it back in? 

But, it looks as though you could adjust the trim cleat in a bit, and then pull the bar in as far as you want.  That cleat will let you dial in pretty much any power setting.

This setup looks like it has a huge trim range - that’s good!  Should make unhooked riding nice - I never seem to have enough trim strap range on my current kites.  Can’t wait to try it out.

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

punch up bar

:D Looks really good,so many control options,the safety system is brillant.Very simple clean system,simple is the best.I can hardly wait to try this bar.I will be wanting to unhook more now.This bar looks like so many riding styles are possible.I sail full power most of the time.Better bar pressure this way,so i can feel where the kite is in the air,nice to have all the options,light bar pressure for wave sailing ,let’s say,and power for jumps,and such.I’m very excited about trying this system out,congratualations on another improvement in the quality of kitesurfing Ocean Rodeo. LOL

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

The new bar looks pretty impressive so far in its simplicity.  I’m surprised nobody has though of this before for the stopper system.  Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew if this bar can be used on flat kites which utilize pulleys on the outside lines such as the Xbow and Turbo diesel.  Thanks in advance.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

[quote author=“Anonymous”] Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew if this bar can be used on flat kites which utilize pulleys on the outside lines such as the Xbow and Turbo diesel.  Thanks in advance.

You could, but you have to remember that your rear line travel for sheeting and turning will be about half of what you get with the stock Crossbow/TD bar.  Pete Cabrinha mentioned that without the pulleys, they needed a bar that was almost 1 m wide to turn the kite properly.  Thus the pulleys.

But it might work, give it a try!