line extension
Posted: 30 April 2007 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2006-04-02

I was out in cape hatteras in approx 30knt with 9m One when one of the center lines broke at the pig tail connection, has this happened to anyone before, was quite the experience as lost total control of the kite as spun in circles, was able to direct the kite into the a bush without damage, my next step was going to be to ditch the kite all together, the lines were fairly new is this a manufacture defect or is it big wind + big guy = broken line. 

Jason

Signature 

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Posted: 01 May 2007 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  473
Joined  2006-07-15

Had this happen to me in a not very friendly location, I was on my 12m one at the time, the line snapped in the middle though, just sent the kite and twang, looping kite. I recon i was swimming for a goot 20-25 mins.

Answer, get the shorter 650lb OR lines.

Ben

Signature 

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Posted: 02 May 2007 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Don’t forget your preflight inspection !!!

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 02 May 2007 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2006-04-02

lines

It was done I always double check, the line snapped were the white line connects to the black pig tail, I guess I’ll fly with shorter lines I really like the longer set, hope doesn’t happen again hated the feeling of the kite looping Oh yell it happens I guess.

Jason

Signature 

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Posted: 10 May 2007 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2006-10-14

my lines have started to unshieve on the centre lines. is it possible to cut the sticking keeping it on replacing it then resplicing the line?

Posted: 10 May 2007 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2006-10-14

i havent had that happen but had the big dyneema used for the depower line snap mid backloop. pulled in for lift got about 3 ft up and then fell like a stone lol.
my lines have started to unshieve on the centre lines. is it possible to cut the sticking keeping it on replacing it then resplicing the line?

Posted: 22 May 2007 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2006-04-18

Jason, I feel your pain….i’ve had a line snap twice - always under a pretty good load - riding very powered up and throwing a jump with a roll - sometimes I think the crossing lines may cut each other.

I hate the death spiral - first time a buddy on the beach saved me - the second time the kite spun so long the leash snapped and I lost the kite - which I recovered just down wind (no damage - thank you OR build quality) - unfortunately I was half way through an 8 mile downwinder in hatteras - that turned into a long walk home!

In both cases the lines were a season old - so I have decided to make it a mission to replace the lines each season.

Also I think I may try to rig to a 5th line just for flagging out the kite in that situation.

Posted: 22 May 2007 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Sure you can repair lines. Here are a couple links. (remember only ‘Q’ line does not require ‘sleeving.):                      http://www.windwizard.com/knots.html                http://www.powerline-sports.com/knots.html

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…