Questions for Go Joe users!

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Calling all Go Joe users,...we need your help.
We are currently working on the next version of the Go Joe. Version 1 was a great success, however we are aware it could become a standard board component if it looked “cooler”.
To improve the look, we have a few questions regarding how YOU use it:

1) do you deflate the Go Joe after every use.
2) would you rather have a cool look, or high visibility (bright colors)
3) do you use the Go Joe as a grab handle?
Any other comments would be appreciated!

PS. all that respond will be put in for a draw and chance to win an OR hoody.  :D

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

the answers are….well for me anyway
no, but most of the time
a combination would be nice, with an eye to a more asthetically pleasing colour scheme.  Yes, I do think some colour changes would help.
no
comments
is it the colour that really deters people, or just the idea of a blow up thingy on the board and/or being in the way? 
Newer/intermediate kiters maybe bugged by the colour but understand the alternatives and wisely go for the joe, the old school probably resists for both colour and “blow up thingy” reasons??. Like the local guy who lost 2 new North boards in six months, and went back to a leash and since he jumps a lot, it’s risky. 
Personally I care less what it looks like, as long as it works, and it works!  dragging around in ice water or spending an hour looking “for that damn board” is not my idea of fun, and wearing a leash is out of the question.   
So GO JOE V2!

Signature

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I leave my go-joe inflated…I would like to see animated characters on it !!!                Maybe theme /seasonal pics you pull over your go-joe like a plastic cover…Or go wild & have animated 3D O.R. characters !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I think whoever came up with this device did an excellent job of creating a viable alternative to the leash.
I think you could make it any color you want if you add reflective fabric in key areas.
I deflate mine after use to lessen the stress on the stitching, just like a kite.
It doesn’t work very well as a grab because it is not centered on the board, designing it to use as one is an interesting concept though.

Yes I get looks and wise cracks aobut it, but man is this thing a major time and energy saver on the water. I love it! I guess thats why I have two of them.

Good job OR dudes!

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I ditched the leash and picked up a Go-joe, an awesome product.

My answers:
1. I always deflate, more room in the trunk of my car
2. I like the high visibility
3. No, not as a grab handle
4. I think if you offered it in different patterns/colours like suggested in the posts above, that might spark more interest.  When I was in Hawaii using it a few guys asked me what it was, and after explaining it to them they asked me if it came in different colours…one guy asked if it came in a camouflage colour….

I hope that helps,
Justin

Signature

‘08 RISE 8m/12m, Mako Pro, Mako Wide, Session Harness, Pyro, Crazyfly skimboard

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Come to think of it, I had someone ask me if it came in camo color too.
Camo or a nature related color scheme might be a good one to help reinforce the environmental message you guys are sending to everyone.

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

great feedback,...thanks! We’ll keep the post running until next Friday in hopes of more comments.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

My lake doesn’t get waves enough to have the need for it, but if i was on the ocean i’d feel a lot more comfortable with it.

My first impression in pictures was that it looked huge and chunky- and not aero/aqua dynamic to go on a sleek board, though i haven’t found out its size -  and i’ve never actually seen one.

But definitely something to give more of a ‘hardcore’ edge. The camo suggestion does sound good and if you’re bobbing around on the ocean - it may be all you need as a silhouette against the horizon/sky.

Camo or less in your face might make some of us more self conscious (ok…read egotistical :wink: ) riders want to try it.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Well I just got mine and at this point don’t care of its look as I almost lost my board a few times last year, but friends were able to help, I had problems body draging in light winds with big kite, the board moved too slowly and to difficult to make up ground as the kite would not have a enough juice at the edge of the window.  I think this will be the solution.  I would love to see it be a little smaller I don’t know if this is possible and have the same effect.  Color would be neet to let say have a yellow mako and have the Go Jo flow with the board with the same color and design, and like craig have some reflective tape of something highly visible, a lot of people have complained and made comments but I’m yet to see another company come out with an alternative.  Great product.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Re: Questions for Go Joe users!

We are currently working on the next version of the Go Joe. Version 1 was a great success, however we are aware it could become a standard board component if it looked “cooler”.
To improve the look, we have a few questions regarding how YOU use it:

1) do you deflate the Go Joe after every use. No, it is too much of a pain to get a good inflation pressure on it. SUGGESTION: change the angle of the inflation valve so it is easier to close off without losing air.
2) would you rather have a cool look, or high visibility (bright colors). My board is yellow orange and the GoJoe is orange so no problem. The motif could change. What abourt Mako shark outlines?
3) do you use the Go Joe as a grab handle? No. I use the grab handle as a grab handle.
Build in a water proof pocket for an optional strobe beacon or radio location device. That way when you really lose it, you can get in your car, drive up the hill and spot it. You can then sell gadgets to go in the pocket and someone will buy them. This will increase the gearhead cool factor and help sell more GoJoes. GPS data loggers, disposable mobile phones. (hey dude I found your board, come and get it at…), energy bars.

PS. all that respond will be put in for a draw and chance to win an OR hoody.  :D

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hi Richard,

I like the idea of the Go Joe being able to lie down flatter against the board when riding, over or around the existing grab handle and held down under the opposite heel. The idea being when you fall off the board, it pops up (rubber bungee?) and does its work. This could potentially look less like a ?kook? advert and increase its appeal to a wider audience.

I also think that if it was made from a foam product it could potentially be more durable and maybe shaped to look sleeker but I realise this could have cost implications, both in manufacturing and shipping?

To answer you questions though:

1.do you deflate the Go Joe after every use. NO
2.would you rather have a cool look, or high visibility (bright colors) BOTH but muted colours being available could widen its appeal.
3.do you use the Go Joe as a grab handle? Only occasionally for deep water starts

As for designs, I prefer the ones that match my boards so they look like they ‘belong’ to them (see below)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Iain
UK Tech Rep

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2007-04-13

PM

goJOE

Colors- I think the new Orange ( and red) Mako logo is great, and this would be more appealing and accomplishes cool look and visibility in one stroke. The yellow and black is a bit obnoxious Mabye Orange Camo with the shark logo? You could tone it down a notch and it would still be highly visible.

Deflate- I never do it
Handle- I can grab my handle OK, (don?t think the top of the gojoe should have a handle- it would definitely get in the way). Tried deflating it a bit for easier squeeze when board off- it was actually way easier to get a grip then the handle on the board cause it was closer ( just learning board off?s)

Experiment: have you guys tried a slightly smaller one- maybe tapering the top end a bit, narrowing the profile? Wonder it would have that much of an effect on the ‘sail’ speed.

In terms of any changes to the Go Joe structure, I would don?t think it should be changed at all as some have suggested. The valve works fine to me, don?t think it should have any more stitchting, pockets, or bungee release, or foam ( deterioration/ breakage etc..)- and the size is perfect for me-, and the ?sail size? seems to be just right. I don?t deflate, but of late have been experimenting with 90 percent inflation for riding- a little softer than when ?fully at attention? and I don?t notice it at all when riding- it flexes a bit more when riding toe side-knee in- which I like. It still sails fine and is easier to get a grip on for gojo grabs

The thing is tough- I have been trashing it in barnacles, rolling in the surf on cobbles, falling on it, punching it, leaving it inflated for 2 months. Don?t add any weight to it, or gizmos that will break.

Thanks for developing this- it saved me again FRI at IV after a 150 m body bouncing boardless drag/ whip/ rodeo ride in the big gusts that marked the transition from 14m wind to 9m wind. It only took me 6 ‘reaches’ to get board back as opposed to probably 20 plus without it or more as there was a back eddy an the wind was on a sudden increase. I was overpowered.
Interestingly the board made ½ the trip upside down- sitting on the gojoe, with the board in the air (big sail) before flipping. ( because I don?t have it inflated all the way)

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2006-07-26

PM

1)I deflate after use so it goes in the board bag… and storage easier.  I’ve noticed it’s a little hard getting the pump valve attached because it’s so close to the handle, could be the way I’ve mounted it?
2)I like high visibility, but maybe you could offer a “cool looking” Go Joe for the glamour boys out there.  Floral print maybe?  Urban camo?
3)Don’t use as a grab handle.

From my experience, the “uncool factor” is the ONLY thing that turns people off from buying one.  I tell ‘em it’s cooler to be RIDING than body dragging.  Ha!

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-01-26

PM

Go Joe

Hi Richard,

I always deflate

The most important is high visibility

I don´t use it as a grab handle.

For lessons, we just up grade a strip with velcro to keep it rolled up, when we are not using it.

Cheers!

Best regards,

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Hi Pedro!
Great to hear from you and thanks for the Go Joe comments!!

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

And the winner is,.....J-Dog. We’ll PM you regarding your ship to info and required size for your new Ocean Rodeo Hoody!
A big thanks to all who responded!!!!