What to buy?
Posted: 23 March 2007 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-22

I am in the process of deciding what type of kite to buy and size as this is going to be my first gear set up.  I’m 6’3” 190lbs and will be doing a fair bit of kiting on Nicola Lake which I’m told can be gusty.  I also intend on hitting Squamish whenever possible.  Can someone recommend any kites that would be suitable for me?  And perhaps what size of board.

Cheers

Posted: 23 March 2007 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

You sound like a good candidate for a 14m 2007 ‘one’... Lots of range & great in the gusts.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 23 March 2007 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

As above for kite .I would recomend a board around the 150 mark for your weight as a biginner. this will become your light wind board as you improve.

Posted: 24 March 2007 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2006-05-23

Re: What to buy?

[quote author=“nitrogen”]I am in the process of deciding what type of kite to buy and size as this is going to be my first gear set up.  I’m 6’3” 190lbs and will be doing a fair bit of kiting on Nicola Lake which I’m told can be gusty.  I also intend on hitting Squamish whenever possible.  Can someone recommend any kites that would be suitable for me?  And perhaps what size of board.

Cheers

I think the 14m might be a little big for you for Nicola and Squamish.  I have kited Nicola and it can crank upto (and above) 30 knots in the gusts.  I am the same weight as you and I kite on a 12m One.  Range is about 14 to 30knots, slightly lower with a large board.  I am on a 134.  The One is not a great kite to learn on though as it requires rider input to get the most out of it.  If you are just learning maybe look at a 12 to 14 meter Rise.

Posted: 24 March 2007 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Good point. I think the 12M rise may be a better starting point. However keep in mind it is not marketed as having the range of the ‘ONE’  on the fly   http//www.oceanrodeo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181       BUT as pointed out above it will require less kiter input/skill as suits a ‘newbie’.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 25 March 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-03-25

If I was to start over I would get a 150ish board, an old style zen board. A new style 14M one and a 9 meter One. THe 9M is the sweetest kite I have ever flown. The 14 would be good for the light wind. Compared to the 9 the 12 is not a quick maneuvering kite bit of a pig. This selection would give you a 10 knot to 30 Knot range.

Their you go you have no excuse now.

Posted: 26 March 2007 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2006-11-12

I gave my 14m one to a 180 lb friend yesterday to try out and he came scampering back in for his 12m one after 5 minutes (granted a solid gust came through, which is normal for Okanagan lake and Nicola is stronger)  He just said woa that things got power which I know because I had just scampered back in for my regular 9m one.  So I agree go 12 one or rise and enjoy yourself.

Signature 

Cheers,
Marc
http://kiteboardingkelowna.com