PYRO SURF Reviews! - Surf Dry!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Crew.

Please use this thread to begin posting your experiences with the all new Pyro Surf drysuit.

Those of you who love chatting on forums might like to read this thread on Coastal BC and possibly weigh in on the debate. For that matter, you can weigh in on this one and this one too if you wish!

Now, check out this totally independent review just posted on Coastal BC . Coastal BC is the largest Canadian West Coast Surf site so we were pretty stoked to see the review come up favourably!

John Z :evil:

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

The Discovery Channel recently ran a piece on the Pyro Surf suit and, if you can believe it, someone in Germany has already added it to youtube!

Obviously credit should be given to The Discovery Channel and the show The Daily Planet . These guys were awesome to work with and have produced a top notch show! If you wish to write to them to thank them for taking the time to do a show on our gear just click here: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

How much do I love the internet?

Click here to watch the video or cruise over to our blog.

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2007-07-04

PM

sbc Surf Magazine Pyro Surf Write Up

sbc Surf Magazine Pyro Surf Write Up

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

I will hopefully be able to try mine out in the next few weeks—- I’m hoping that it will beat and exceed all expectations. I paddled in it this weekend and the fit and flexabillity were great. It was much more comfortable than using my older 5mm rubber.

I have huge expectations that this is a big leap in cold water surfing technology.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Ok, so I got to try my Pyro Surf this weekend.

It totally beat and exceeded all expectations. Admittatly the surf was small, but I did get caught on the inside a few times and had to duck-dive a few times. These are my findings.

Pro’s.
I was nice and toasty. My surfing partners were starting to get cold in their 5mm wetsuits and I was totally comfortable. Paddling was easy—your arms have a much easier range of movement than in a thick wetsuit. As for the actual surfing, I didn’t feel at all restricted, in fact I wasn’t aware of anything. That is good, it means that like my shoulders/arms, the suit allows me to do what I need to do without restriction.
Duck-diving was good. After getting out, I burped some additional air out of the suit and after that, it felt no different from duckdiving in a wetsuit. When I got out after my session, instead of a mad scramble to get warm, start the engine and crank the heater, I was fine. It was such a good feeling to be able to get out the water and feel totally warm and comfortable. That is a first for me in BC. .

Cons. There really weren’t any. the only thing that I found in my haste to try it out properly, was that I didn’t put it on as carefully as I should have, and some of the underware bunched. Until you have it figured out(the same process as any new wetsuit) spend the additional little bit of time and make sure that all the layers are as they should be.

Water Temp was about 7-9 celcius. Air temp was aproximately12-14 celcius. I was wearing 5mm gloves and 7mm booties. The other big advantage is that I can always layer up if I need additional warmth in the middle of winter.

Signature

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

I’ve had a few more sessions in this suit. Getting into it is now as familiar as my old wetsuit and alot easier than some of the so called zipperless wetsuits.

All my doughts about the suit taking on water when going over the falls were unfounded. I have always been dry at the end of sessions. Duck-diving in larger surf hasn’t been a problem at all. Did I mention the ease of paddling and the range of motion?

The trick to being really comfortablee in this suit, is not to overdress. It is really comfortable sitting on your board—it doesn’t fell too weird at all. By comfortable, I mean temperature, not too hwarm/cold.

One of the best parts is still getting changed after a session and being warm. Another great feeling is to be able to watch other surfers at the end of a session without feeling cold and making a mad dash for your car.

Signature

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Stoked—there is no going back to cold and wet during BC winter surfing.

Signature

Joined 2007-12-06

PM

New suit?

I met the guy that photographed Aaron in the suit in ns in the lineup. Appearatly he stepped on a nail right after taking the shot of him walking on the beach! ouch.

Happy surfing

Luke

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

The winter surf season has started with an epic day on Saturday. I was out in my Pyro surf—gotta like this suit. It more than delivers on expectations—-warm, comfy, easy to duck-dive and paddle in.

Stoked

Signature

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Thank you all at OR for the excellent concept and product quality that is the Pyro Surf.

For those of you out there thinking about getting one think no more! I purchased one recently as a change/replacement for my Pyro ‘Classic’. A suit that had seen quite a lot of service over the past 3 years but was still in good condition - many more hours left in it I’m sure and with only a replacement neck seal. Incidentally I placed it on eBay last week and it was snapped up at a good price proving that these suits have a good reputation and an excellent re-sale value!

Being a racing snake I always found that there would be enough air within my ‘classic’ to burp out at the most in-opportune moments resulting in dampness around my neck and upper chest every now and then. Don’t get me wrong I had many a dry session in that original dry suit and in some big surf too (well big enough for me to nearly crap my pants in the early days anyway!)

So the fact that the surf suit had the lycra outer skin to compress the dry core and fit a little closer to the old bones (and also look more like the conventional wet suit) was a concept that I wanted.

The first time I tried the suit on I sounded a bit like a mobile crisp packet. That felt a bit weird to start with but then there was no wind-I mean sound of, in the bedroom at the time shut eye

Today I donned the suit for the first time in anger. Not that my kite session was much to speak of as the wind was killed off by a rain shower and then I had to rescue my wife from the shops before she spent all the savings. I did get myself immersed for around half an hour despite.

The suit is amazing! I couldn’t believe the sensation. It felt as though I was wearing nothing more than a 3mm wetsuit but I wasn’t wet and I was as warm as toast. No sign of the crisp packed effect either.

Coldfire boots? They need re-naming. My feet were even warmer ohh

OK it wasn’t a particularly cold day and the water temperature was not icy being in the Gulf stream here on the south coast of the UK but it made getting in the drink an even better pleasant experience nonetheless.

I don’t think I’ll ever wear a wetsuit again during the autumn and winter.

Thanks again folks for an excellent product!

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-01-26

PM

Could someone please send or post a pic of how the braces are supposed to go through the guide by the zip, ive tried it both ways and the flap just wont lie flat. The label has “up” written on it but I cant get it to lie flat or feel right, thanks Tim (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address))

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Do you still need the pictures mrtbree’ze? If so I’ll see what I can muster up tomorrow night.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-01-26

PM

Yes please Andy, that would be great. Im sure its something simple Im doing wrong. Ive got the braces attached ok but it just dosent seem right where it goes through the guide by the zip. Cheers mate, Tim

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

No probs Tim I’ll sort them out in a sec. Sorry about putting the apostrophe in your user name-must have been a speck on my computer sreen grin

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Just in from a two hour session in my Pyro Surf, Coldfire boots and gloves. Warm as toast throughout (I have the OR thermals)and completely dry! Others were freezin’ their nads off. This suit is easy to put on, doesn’t feel like you’re wearing a drysuit and is more manouvrable than the restrictions of even the thinnest neoprene suit. Certainly makes cold weather kiting so much more bearable. No more wetsuit for me. Can’t recommend it enough.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-05-09

PM

I surf and mostly kitesurf in RI (southern New England), looking to get into one of these dry suits when my 5:4 goes away/next winter. Do you guys reccomend the Pyro Surf or Pyro Pro? I see alot of you kiters go for the PSurf. Thanks, John-