Help Needed!!

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Hi,
I have recently bought some OR ‘ones’ 2006, took the 9m out today for the first time in about 30 knots. I was impressed, big air and floaty landings, didnt try any kiteloops though as I was too powered.
  The problems…. when letting go of the bar it doesnt stay on the thicker part of the depower rope where it is supposed to friction hold, it moves up to fully depower the kite, is this normal??
  Further still, when the kite is fully depowered it falls from the sky as if on a 5th line, upside down, this would be fine as I could just relaunch it, but as soon as it hits the water the wind gets underneath it and causes it to flip over and get the bridle in a big mess wrapped around the kite before I can get anywhere near pulling the bar back. I managed to relaunch it from here as somehow it managed to sort itself out but because of the inversion or whatever it was the rear lines were then twisted inside the leader lines. It did this everytime and on the land yesterday as well
Any help on this would be brilliant
cheers
Tristan

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Tristan,

Soon we will be offering an inexpensive kit to easily retrofit your bar with the new 07 SLE stopper. The stopper can easily be adjusted on the fly to allow for any amount of throw, but can be ridden hard against so you won’t have the problem you are having now.

The kite is supposed to fully depower/safety and come out of the sky when the bar travels out a certain distance, but it’s no bueno when it happens inadvertently. The new stopper is really slick and sorts this out.

The trick with most SLE’s/bows in general when they hit the water is to pull the bar in asap to prevent the back lines from going too slack. The new stopper prevents this from happening accidentally.

I’m glad your stoked on the kite, and welcome to the crew!

Cheers, Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

The new stopper sounds good, will it be possible to release it as a safety as well or will it be fixed?
When will they be available and will it be to the UK?
Does everyone else have the problem with the kite inverting and getting in a tangle everytime the safety is pulled? It managed to get in such a tangle yesterday that it was flying inside out!!!
Thanks for the help
Tristan

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Dude

Tristan,

Mate I am gutted, It sounds like you arent pumping the LE up enough for one and 2 the kite will fall out of the sky if you let out the bar lots when its above you. Remember flying it on the beach at Camber in all be it light wind. We didnt have it sheeted at all, In higher wind (30kt), the kite can handle it, especially as your a bit more Pie hungry than me, but you need to watch how much and how fast you sheet it (remember looking at that knobber on the Slingshot Link! Remember the bubble forming near the LE on the top edge,) well that happens when your sheeting the kite, sheet too much and it will try and invert! But only in mega high and gusty wind!

As far as the stopper goes, I used to reach forward and give it an extra tug to make it stick and never really let go of the bar that often, must be weird going from your C’s to the Ones, trust me mate it will click into place. How are you finding them apart from that?

I kited on sat and then watched with Em on sunday, My mate crashed his new, 07 Waroo directly down and the thing literally split in half down the middle just leaving the LE, that wouldnt happen with your one dude! Its just learning to fly it without over sheeting out!

Wish the wind was better that weekend, should have spent more time flying them on the beach.

Call me if you need to chat about anything mate

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Cheers Ben for the help and chat on msn, ill try these solutions and let u know how it went!
Cheers
Tristan

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Tristan, welcome to the Crew! Stoked ot have you on our gear.

The new stopper will essentially be “fixed” meaning if you were to set it to a spot and let go of the bar it would keep the kite powered. This is great for spinning the bar back out after a trick or setting it for a good power and riding “lazy”. The way we have set it up for safety is to allow the kite, even when the stopper is under load, to safely depower should you release from your chicken loop and have the kite leashed off the trim line.

Given that you have a 2006 bar set up the trim line you have on your kite will need to be replaced in order to allow you to set up the bar to work with the new stopper. As such you should get in touch with your local shop and have placed on order a replacement “2007 EZ Stopper Upgrade Kit”. We are waiting on China to ship us a bunch of new trim lines to send out with the kits and expect to start shipping those in the next 2-3 weeks’ time.

In the mean time I would suggest this:

1) Stop leashing off of just one single front line and start leashing off the chicken loop.
2) Keep the stopper in a knocked out position and just never let go of the bar

In this way your kite will essentially always be leashed off of both front lines and will prevent you from flagging the kite off one line only and having it get all wrapped up in a knot!

I hope this helps Tristan, we’re stoked to have you on our gear…remember, no one I know used to ride Ocean Rodeo equipment!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

cheers for the replies,
Im currently leashed to the D ring next to the chicken loop, I think the main solution is to hold onto the bar until I cant get hold of the new stoppers, they look like they will do the trick brilliantly!
Any idea how much they will be?
Thanks again
Tristan

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

In the neighbourhood of £15 to £20, $25-$30 USD or ?25-?30. This will include a new center line trim line, the new stopper and an instruction manual to easily apply the mod.

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Bargain!

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Tristain,

Remind me to tune Mr Z when I make my order, they could possibly put your stuff in with mine.

Always happy to help mate! All part of the service.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!