Snowkiting Video from Ontario
Posted: 12 February 2007 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-03-07

I just uploaded a small snow kite video to kiteforum.tv under the snowkite section here is the link:

http://www.kiteforum.tv/component/option,com_videos/task,show/id,1171/Itemid,30/

I was riding a 12m Diablo in the video so I thought I’d make a post on this forum as well. It has a couple pics of the kite flying.

Posted: 15 February 2007 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2006-11-15

nice vid man! Here in the Netherlands we don’t have any snow this winter. However the temperatures reach up to 11 degrees celcius and we have a lot of wind. not so bad…... :twisted:

Posted: 15 February 2007 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

nice vid!,...the next few days should be epic in Ontario after the big dump!

Posted: 15 February 2007 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-03-07

Thanks for the comments guys!

Some places here got 70cm of snow. There are 4-5ft snow drifts everywhere. -30C windchills right now. But the weekend is going to be -2C so we can get out and enjoy some of the new snow.

Wouter, I’m going to be out in your part of the world in October for 10 days so you’ll have to let me know some good spots to ride as I want bring my kite stuff out with me.

Posted: 15 February 2007 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2007-01-05

Great Vid!! No lift lines or ski patrol on that lake. Sounds good to me.

Posted: 16 February 2007 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-10-13

Thought i was lucky over here in Alberta with all the snow we’ve had - but shit looks like you guys are taking the 07 pow pow award hands down at the moment. 
Jumping off that kicker looks really cool!

Signature 

http://www.destinationkiteboarding.com

Posted: 16 February 2007 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2006-11-15

SJdavies. Give me a post on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Be happy to guide you to the beste spots, and why not enjoy a great session together with the stormchaser team while we are on it. October is the best time of the year. Be ready for some nuking autumn sessions!

Enjoy your weekend!

Posted: 17 February 2007 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2006-03-03

Nice, i really liked the vid, looks like fun.

Out of curiosity does the cold affect the bladders pumping up an LEI? Does it ever get too cold where they just don’t work?

What is the bottom end wind range to really have fun snowkiting as there would be a lot less friction than on the water, 10mph?

I am sure there are different viewpoints. For example, I find anything below 15mph on the water rather uninspiring.

Lester

Posted: 17 February 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-03-07

Hey Lester,

Glad you liked the Vid!

I’ve been out in -17C with the windchill it was -28C and never had a problem with bladders. One pump is nice in that kind of weather, but since I don’t have that I just pump up my bladders in my basement before I leave and then all I have to do is pump the leading edge when I get to the lake. This gets you going faster as well which is kind of nice in the cold wind.

Today I was out on my 12m Diablo again it was 10mph gusting 16mph. I was a little underpowered in the lulls, but still being pulled along on the snow no problem, but in the gusts it was perfect. Even in the lulls the kite still flys great but you do have to work it a little. Pretty good for being 200lbs. The day in the video it was gusting 25mph at one point and I was on the 12m Diablo as well. So as long as you have good enough snow conditions to hold an edge, you can hold a fair amount of wind as well. On the water 15mph is my starting point as well. But on the snow 10mph is great fun even on a 12m.

Posted: 24 March 2007 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-03-24

Nice video SJDavies!!! 
I am also from Ontario. I have my Pyro Lite now just waiting for the ice to melt. Wouldn’t mind surface temps to rise above 40 too. Cheers