Protecting Leading Edge Material….
Posted: 30 January 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-10-26

Hey All,

Wanted to get others thoughts or maybe John can give me a good answer.  Been out snowkiting and the leading edge is getting a little beat up from relaunches.  The material is starting to fray where it is on the outside of the seam.  And at one point where the leading edge bridal is connected to the leading edge, it is worn down to where it is starting to pull at the adhesive.  Assuming that this is normal wear from using the kite, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to protect it a bit.  I was thinking of using seam sealer to protect the area’s where the seams and stitching are.  I’m guessing this would help reduce the fraying/pulling of the material on the leading edge.

Thoughts or suggestions…..

Thanks!

Signature 

Jason
Anchorage, AK

2006 16m & 12m One (w/bridal mod)
2006 Legend Board
Pyro Pro

Posted: 31 January 2007 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Jason,

The quick answer is that snow is sharper than sand or stones and as such it will fray the dacron of the LE a bit faster than you would expect with normal use. Now, the important thing to remember is that the Dacron that is fraying is the loose panels around the scuff guards and as such it is not a structural thing. So,

1) With the kite dry and pumped up trim the fray back to the edge of the Dacron.
2) Carefully use a lighter to melt the stumps of frayed material that remain and use your finger to smudge the melted material up against the edge of the Dacron to re-seal the edge

Remember that once this fraying gets to the seam line it will stop. There is little else I can suggest as the Dacron pieces are all cut and heat treated on the edges but once a fray starts it is tough to avoid.

1 other tip! - When snow kiting with your gear try to avoid leaving the kite LE tube down on the snow and ice for longer than need be. The kite will “shiver” with the wind rushing over it and you are essentially grinding the LE into the sharp snow and ice as this happens. Get to your spot, throw on your gear, pump up and ride, when done pack up immediatly!

Happy trails!

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 31 January 2007 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-10-26

Thanks John

Thanks for the info, was thinking about that also, but wanted a reply first.  Been having a awesome time last few days!!  Thanks for the “shivering” tip, pretty much throw it up and ride, and then packing up when I’m done, so haven’t left it sitting down all that much.  All the wear is from selflaunching it since it’s pretty much just me on the weekdays.

Thanks!!

Signature 

Jason
Anchorage, AK

2006 16m & 12m One (w/bridal mod)
2006 Legend Board
Pyro Pro