big lovable bear of a kite-14m One

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

First, I don’t like big kites, probably from those near death experiences in the past with big crappy kites, gusty conditions and too little exp.! I use my 06/9m one ( I weigh 150lbs) as often as possible while defaulting to the 12one when I have to, and otherwise watching that light breeze blow by, from the beach.  However, my watching days are over with this big lovable bear of a kite.
I used it for the first time and my first time (yikes) in ocean surf with 21 m lines, light wind and on a zen 135.  The Kite made up for my ocean/surf inexperience and a board too small, by being smooth, solid and super stable continually waiting up there for me to get it together.  Picked up to 15 knots,...my advice, don’t be shy with the trim strap, kite has Power! Second use.  Gusty, Flat water with 24 m lines, self launched, took the gusts, wind dying, kite kept flying and still turned reasonably well.  I also tried it earlier on with 16m lines but wind was too light, but the indications were it had about 12m1 power in that configuration.
These are the perfect 2 kites for any condition.  The 9 on shorter lines can be fun in any wicked wind you have the stomach for, and the 14 on long lines/bigger board can be fun in the lightest breeze.  And the best news of all?between those 2 extremes is a world of possibilities.

sorry no pics yet -but the kite looks awesome in black and grey

Signature

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-01-10

PM

sounds great marc….

you’re about the same size as me and i just got the 07 12m   was wonderin what sort of range you got out of yours?  got too cold for me to ride at the mo and cant wait to get out!!

danimal

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

My experience is it’s fun to use the 12one in approx 10-25knots with a couple boards and a set of shorter lines for the high end if it’s constant with gusts.  lots of guys here use a one kite quiver 12m flat kites including Ones even in 30+ gusts, 170-220lbs, but there low end is higher and exp level is high.  But since I’m lighter I can get the 9one to kick in around 15 knots and I’ts fun, although if the wind drops, I’m stuck.  The second generation 12one your getting should do the trick most of the time.

Signature

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Too Cold???? Look at the specs for the Pyro. Nice and toasty in 7 C water and 6c air temp. You should be able to stay warm with today’s technology.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!