Tony and the 12m One

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Hats off to Andy at BKB for the extended demo of the 07’ 12m One!
http://www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com/
I had another crazy winter kiter take me up on an offer to try this beast.
The conditions appeared to be too lite for a 12m bow and a 128 tt.
The rider’s weight is 165lbs. 6-7 years experience kiting. This guy is good.
A kiter from france by the name of Tony. He is a virgin to the bow kite, no more! 
He had his very 1st session with a bow-type kite at Richmond beach in Seattle today. His home spot is where Manu Bertan rides a lot. He knows how to ride with good form and was able to adapt quickly to this type of kite… just look at him, he’s rippin!
What did he think of it?
First off, he wanted to use it another day!
then he said it was a very fast kite that is very reactive and easy to loop.
An incredibly fun kite to fly we both agree! It just makes you smile!
I think Tony deserves another day on this thing, don’t you?

I’m gonna miss this One when this demo is over! :cry:
In the back ground of this shot is a 18m torch and a 16m toro.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I have to give it back. Ouch. I wish this demo could last all year!
Thanks again Andy! Its been fun trying the latest kite from OR!
http://www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com/
I have some positive things to report about this 12m One-

I am 210lbs, and I flew this kite with complete confidence in four different storms, with winds ranging from 15 to 35 kts. This thing is rock solid in the air!

I love the “feel” of the traction!
  Maybe its the canopy refinements, or the new bridal or both, I don’t care!  This kite has grunt of a C now, and the power modulation seems a bit more drawn out, it takes more bar travel for 100% depower.
The bar pressure on my 06’ One is very lite until it gets really wound up.
This new bridal gives the rider more pressure for input in the lower power range. I would say this pressure is ideal too, I mean, it just feels right to me.
This 12m One can point! 
This is the beauty of the bow, they can scream upwind!
This baby can go down!
This is a kite than can go down wind with out that “I’m gonna die now” accelleration.
You can almost forget about the thing and let it fly itself with minimal traction while you ride a wave.
It almost dissapears, then bam it comes back online when you need power.
You can put the kite into a power stroke and then let the bar out without a dramatic drop in traction, jumps are fluid and smooth.
Re-launch is almost automatic. This thing wants to be in the air, just pull on a back line and she does the rest.
This kite is small enough to easily rinse, and hang to dry inside.

My concerns.

The bridal system should be treated with respect, keep an eye out for twists and wraps when you set up, and I recomend rinsing after salt water to keep crystals from shortening the lifespan of the fibers.
Launching skills are different than my diablo.
I haven’t found the perfect technique yet for the ugly launches we have here.
I need to spend more time practicing self launching.
and….
How am I going to live without a 12m One in my life now?

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

I ‘ll give you 2 weeks without that kite and you will buy ONE…....

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Nice review Craig…I now have the 06 9 & 12 both with the bridle mod. (extensions)... I find the self launch (land) challenging as well. The ‘C’ style launch (but without folding) leads to the weight bag sliding neatly against the leading edge. Richard M. (O.R.) recommends a weight on the chicken loop & laying the kite on it’s back with no weight bag. I’ve found this difficult in gusty conditions. Here is a link to a video     http//kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2333812&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight;=

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thanks Jimmy! Just trying to keep up with you…
hey, is Richard M. describing laying the kite on its back on the side of the window, or straight down wind? I’ll try anything.
I have this sandbag video in my collection already, its a good one.
I wish the launches around here had this much open area!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Nothing like a Barnacle launch is there !!! The on the back launch is for from the side of the window. Richard has used the straight downwind launch by tipping the kite over & putting sand on the leech just prior to launch…Obviously we would want to try this in light steady wind…I tried a line around a tree with a slip knot on my chicken loop with the video style launch, but the gusty wind made it sloppy. ( My usual launch is from a grassy/gravelly field so sliding launches lead to small tears.{great word it has 2 appropriate meanings !!!}) P

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…