2014 STORM 5m review, looks good in living room but on the water…………………

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

2014 STORM 5m review, looks good in living room but on the water…………………

I bought my new 2014 Ocean Rodeo quiver a couple months ago, pumped them up and displayed the 5m STORM , 8m and 12 m RAZOR in my living room. They sure look good, but how do they perform? Today, GOOD FRIDAY, with Keho lake still ½ frozen, my good buddy and I took advantage of the warming 12 degree air and sun combined with some strong westerly winds, and spent a couple hours riding our new gear. Bob at 230 lb rigged his 6m Wainman, I at 195 lb rigged my crisp new 5m storm. Winds were 40km gusting 70km but forecast to 80km plus. Here is my review of the 5M Storm:
I self launched with a deadman and notice the kite bounced around, flipped over.. etc until I finally, moved the stopper to about 16 inches from bar and left the depower rope in FULL power mode, then it sat better on the ground and I self launched nicely.
It was gusty WIND, my past experience with the 6meter rise kites was a bit disappointing, I had 2009, 2011 rise 6m and found them squirrely and just not much fun, I usually ended up on the 8 m rise Kites and just hung on with their great range and temperament, or used my sons 6m Rebel that was really nice in strong winds. My 2012 rise 8 and 12 were excellent kites, unlike the 6m.
Bob looked lit on his 6m and I cautiously entered the water expecting something better than the old rise and hopeing for something as good as the Rebel. I was WRONG.
After only ½ hour, this 5 m storm is my favourite kite of all time.  I started kiteing in the last century and have been scared often ( never panicked), but have become very respectful of the power of wind, especially strong gusty winds like today. This storm 5m absorbed the 80 km gusts very comfortable without any erratic movement of the kite, the kite seemed to naturally find the sweet spot in each gust of wind. It amazingly still had ability to power me through the 40 km lulls. It was stable but turned as fast as you wanted it to, very predictable, Bar pressure was medium and great feel. It sat in the pocket nicely for riding down the under 1 meter high wind waves, and still ripped up wind when you moved the kite up to the edge. This kite actually does what OR advertizes it to do.
I hope the 2014,  8m and 12 m razors satisfy me as well. Forecast is for 15 degrees, sunny and 30 to 50 km winds at KEHO for Easter Sunday