Fusion Bar throw length
Posted: 31 January 2014 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-31

I recently acquired a 2013 OR Prodigy 9.5m (Super excited! Newest kite in my quiver!), but it didn’t come with a bar. I know that the OR bars use a much longer throw than the slingshot bars I have. I was thinking about retrofitting one of my bars with a longer chicken loop line. I’m worried about not being able to achieve full depower if I just rig the kite and go on my current bar. Any thoughts if the Slingshot bar would work? If I were to retrofit the bar with a new chicken loop, how long should the throw be from fully powered to fully depowered? Thanks!

Posted: 01 February 2014 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi rhorton1,
welcome to the Crew! I have some hours on my 7m Prodigy, and I notice that you’re sheeting in and out less than with the Razor or Rise, so the Slingy bar could just be fine. It’s important to check if the safety (mini5th) has enough travel to allow the kite roll over upon releasing.
Let’s wait if other chime in more experience on this. It might help to measure bar throw and mini 5th length and post it here.
cheers, El Rudo

Posted: 01 February 2014 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-31

Thanks for the info!

I found this on another site -

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2369848

“With regards to bar throw, the Freestyle Bar has the least with 45cm total potential bar travel, the Fusion Bar the 2nd most with 70cm total potential bar throw and the Freeride Bar also has 70cm of potential bar throw unless you elect to slide the stopper up and over the line plug which normally prevents the stopper from going any higher. (This is a great option for beginners / schools as well as for advanced riders heading out in stormy conditions who want the option to simply let go for full depower.)”

Sounds like 70 cm of throw is ideal for the Prodigy.

Alternatively…. It looks like FULL depower is achieved with A LOT longer than 70cm of throw in this youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBupcnH5q7Y. Maybe 70cm if whats needed for full depower… but it looks like the throw can be a lot longer and go into some kind of “safety mode”.

I’ll experiment on a lightwind day and see what I can find out.