hatteras trip 2014
Posted: 30 January 2014 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-12-31

Is there s crew hatteras trip planned this spring at waves village? I would like to go.

Posted: 30 January 2014 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-08-20

http://store.oceanrodeo.com/OBX14-Crew-Event_p_131.html

Posted: 31 January 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2007-03-19

Give us a call or write if you need help or have questions about signing up!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Ned - OR

Posted: 27 February 2014 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-31

OBX14
This is my first time going to Hatteras.
I will be flying to Norfolk and taking a car from there.
Let me know if there are any tips that make the trip better.
Stuff like where to get groceries, beer…
I am assuming shorty wetsuit will do the trick?
Should I just rent one when I get there?
Any tips let me know.
Thanks,
Dave

Posted: 28 February 2014 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-04

Hey Superdave.
I’ve been to Hatty a few times.
There are a couple Foodlion’s on the island that have a great selection of beer and wine… They also carry food smile.
I would bring a 5/4/3 long suit. The winds can be cold in May. The Ocean is also cold. You’ll want to stay warm to extend your session in those awesome conditions.
I don’t know where you can rent a wetsuit but I know there are at least 15 shops that will sell them. The customer service down there has always been great. Especially Rodanthe surf shop.

Have fun
Brian!

Posted: 28 February 2014 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Hi Guys!

JZ here, your intrepid guide on the OBX journey.

Flying into Norfolk is ideal, next best is Richmond. Avoid Raleigh as it is such a long drive (about 7 hours). In general you are best to pick up groceries before you get out onto the islands, so perhaps in Norfolk or on your way down. However, most of you will have flights that arrive late and you’ll want to just get to Waves. In the am you can grab a coffee and muffin from the coffee bar there and then head either north or south by about a 20-30 min drive to find the Food Lion for your groceries, beer and wine and one of the State run liquor stores for any hard bar you want. I’ve made a map you can bookmark that has all the Food Lions, liquor stores and some other notables marked on it (including a great place for lunch marked as the “amazing sandwich bar”). Here’s the map.

As for water, the sound side is typically warm enough to ride in shorts and a rash guard though some people wear shorties to stave off a chill. The outside (ocean side) is very comfortable in a 3mm full suit. (Disclaimer, this is a Canuck talking. If you’re a southerner you’ll likely want a thicker suit.)

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 01 March 2014 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-31

Hey DockMonkey1 and JZ,
Thanks for the info.
I will be booking the trip soon.

Posted: 02 March 2014 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26
johnz - 28 February 2014 09:49 AM

Hi Guys!

JZ here, your intrepid guide on the OBX journey.

Flying into Norfolk is ideal, next best is Richmond. Avoid Raleigh as it is such a long drive (about 7 hours). In general you are best to pick up groceries before you get out onto the islands, so perhaps in Norfolk or on your way down. However, most of you will have flights that arrive late and you’ll want to just get to Waves. In the am you can grab a coffee and muffin from the coffee bar there and then head either north or south by about a 20-30 min drive to find the Food Lion for your groceries, beer and wine and one of the State run liquor stores for any hard bar you want. I’ve made a map you can bookmark that has all the Food Lions, liquor stores and some other notables marked on it (including a great place for lunch marked as the “amazing sandwich bar”). Here’s the map.

JZ

Quick correction to the above (I live on Roanoke Island just north or Hatteras Island)—Raleigh is only about an hour longer drive than Norfolk Airport and about the same as Richmond, and has much easier traffic.  RDU to the Bonner Bridge is about 3 hours 20 minutes.  Definitely a viable option, especially in the summer when the traffic on US 158 from Currituck to Nags Head can be awful.

Grocery stores on Hatteras are OK, but selection is better at the Harris Teeter in Kill Devil Hills if you’re coming down from Norfolk.  Plus it’s on the way, while the Food Lion is a 20 minute drive from Rodanthe going south.

Ocean water can still be cold in May, particularly north of the Cape—bringing a full suit is a good idea.  Booties are a good idea for the sound because of oyster shells and other stuff—not needed in the ocean.

Posted: 04 March 2014 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2007-03-19

Thanks for the update AGK.

On that note, we have just a few spots left. If you’re on the fence, time to pick a side before you don’t have the option. Remaining spots likely won’t last to the middle of the month.

http://store.oceanrodeo.com/OBX14-Crew-Event_p_131.html

Ned - OR

‹‹ $599 for makos!      Fusion Bar throw length ››