bar length and Prodigies / Flites
Posted: 26 January 2014 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

I was thinking about replacing my bar when I order a Flite, and realized that (I think) OR has stopped using its simple and effective way of changing effective bar length on each size by 6 cm or so.  Does anybody have experience on how well the smaller prodigies (the 7 and the 9.5) work with a 55 cm bar, or alternatively whether a 17m FLite will fly OK with a 48 cm bar.  I’d like to have a bar that works ok with all my kites, and I’m afraid the single-length bars may be making that difficult.  Thanks for any experience and advice.

Andy

Posted: 26 January 2014 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-08-17

I fly my 8,10&12; Razors on a 55 bar with no problems.

Posted: 26 January 2014 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2013-01-15

Good question.  We get this one a decent amount.

Personally I have always bought my kites complete with a bar instead of only having one bar for my quiver.  This came in handy when I was first learning and somehow at the end of nearly every session I had a two beer mess of lines to untangle.

Bar lengths will come down to personal preference.  I prefer the 48cm on 10m and smaller kites while Ned at OR prefers the 55cm for the 9.5m and larger.

If it were me, I would get at least two bars for your quiver of kites but if I have to chose only one, it would be the 55cm bar because it will make the larger kites much more enjoyable.  If you find that it makes the smaller kites too fast, you can always move the rear bridals forward to slow down the kite slightly. 

Let us know what you decide and when you get some time on the Flite.

-Todd

Posted: 27 January 2014 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2007-03-19

I actually only have a 55cm bar at present. I have no issues at all flying it with a 6m through 17m. Too fast? Just change settings at the kite if you like.

Agree with Todd that if you get only 1 bar, go big. You can always slow the kite down with smaller bar inputs and a bit of adjustment in your flying technique. There is no cure for too little turning leverage on the bar except a longer bar. Most of us have our hands in the middle of the bar 90% of the time.

I’m a big fan of looping ALL the time, so I’ll take the extra speed every time.

At the end of the day it’s just preference. Any size bar works with any kite.

Ned - OR

Posted: 28 January 2014 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-01-15

I am thinking of picking up a 17m flite..  A have a few question I was hoping could be answered.  My other kites are Norths and I would like to use the same bar. (quad bar) .  Do you think this will work.  Both flag on two lines , and it looks like the y split is at about the same height?.  Also the North has below bar swivel to untwist lines , does this pose any problems? And last Q, should I use 27m or 24m lenght lines.

Thanks

Posted: 28 January 2014 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2007-03-19
Matth - 28 January 2014 05:56 AM

I am thinking of picking up a 17m flite..  A have a few question I was hoping could be answered.  My other kites are Norths and I would like to use the same bar. (quad bar) .  Do you think this will work.  Both flag on two lines , and it looks like the y split is at about the same height?.

Yes, you will be able to fly the kite with your North bar. Any 4 line bar with lines of equal length will allow you to fly our kites. You will, however, need small pigtails for the back lines. These give the back lines knots to attach as opposed to loops, and also serve to lengthen the back lines a couple inches for ease of use (more slack back lines = less stall).

Also the North has below bar swivel to untwist lines , does this pose any problems? And last Q, should I use 27m or 24m lenght lines.

Below the bar swivel should, as far as I can tell, pose no problems either.

The important bit is that your North bar is not designed to use our Direct Depower system. As such, when you flag the kite to 2 lines on your bar, the kite will depower, but as to how much and how effectively, we cannot say. Obviously, we recommend flying our kites with our bars too. This is the only way to ensure safety systems are 100% compatible and work completely as designed.

For line lengths, our bars currently come with 23m lines (+ various rigging on each bar). The Flites also include 4m line extensions. More length gets you better bottom end and longer power strokes, but less of a direct feel. Bottom line on this… try them out and see what you prefer!

Ned - OR

Posted: 28 January 2014 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-10-23

I am thinking of picking up a 17m flite..  A have a few question I was hoping could be answered.  My other kites are Norths and I would like to use the same bar. (quad bar) .  Do you think this will work.

How far does the bar travel up when you eject the chicken loop? Our direct depower system needs about 3m (10 feet) of bar travel to work properly and engage the roll-over bridle.

Posted: 29 January 2014 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-01-15

I also have a 2013 Cabrhina bar that depowers on two line. I am pretty sure it has ten feet of line when released.

Posted: 29 January 2014 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

Thanks to everyone for the experience and opinions.  I pulled the trigger on a 55 cm bar (with above-the-bar depower, something I haven’t had on an OR bar for 6 years—have to see whether it has enough depower and trim room)—I’ll see how it goes.  I still have an older bar for the smaller kites if this one doesn’t work, but I’m betting that if I move the attachment points on the 7 it will be fine.

‹‹ Old bar new kite      $599 for makos! ››