Using Soul Drysuit with Reel Leash

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-11-24

PM

Hello folks
Anyone know if its possible to use an Oceanic reel leash attached to a harness when wearing the Soul drysuit ?
Cheers
Rich

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Rich,
thanks for asking this and welcome to the crew!
I guess you can use the reel leash with the Soul suit, but I don’t think you will find anybody recommending the reel leash for use in kite boarding.
The reason is that board leashes, including the reel leashes, have a tendency to project the board at/in to your head. Don’t Google kite board leash if you just had your dinner.
Ocean Rodeo does not only make a great dry suit, kites and boards, they devised the Go Joe kite board retrieving utility, check that out! I’m sure your shop can cut you a deal on a Soul+GoJoe combo.
good winds,
Rudo

Joined 2013-11-24

PM

Hi Rudo
Thanks for the reply.
Yup, the leash is a personal thing and one I hope to drop in the coming months (ie: once its warmer in Scotland and the water/wind isn’t freezing cold to be body dragging thru) as I progress in my kiting.
The GoJoe sounds a great idea albeit quirky, but something I’ll discuss with my retailer.  However, I still want to use my leash for the foreseeable future until I get my skill level up to scratch.
As far as safety with leashes go, No.1 is remembering to wear a helmet in case the board does spring back at you, especially in waves….which is precisely what happened yesterday when I fell off my board in bigish waves and wasn’t wearing my helmet (which was snug and warm in the car).....the board was sitting behind me with the leash uncoiled which was fine until the next wave launched it into the back of my head.  Now you could say that could (and has) happen(ed) even without the leash so the jury’s out on that one for the moment.  Anyway, a little concussed and a big gash on the back of my head was a reminder to wear my helmet until I get ride of the leash !
Cheers
Rich

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Rich,
I wish I could tell you that you would be safe with an helmet. Twin tip boards can cut right through them, especially when it’s a bit colder and the plastic of the helmet is brittle.
I really don’t want to be sounding like an old man but you should pick the conditions to be safe. If you’re not body dragging well and waves/wind/current can take your board to dangerous places, maybe rethink where you ride.
On helmets, the official warning from OR is to always wear a helmut, but helmets can bucket and harm you in a high speed wipe out. So more to consider!
Anyway, I really don’t want to do this so don’t click.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

I would have to agree with the anti-leash sentiment. Yes, I get paid to sell GOJOEs but in the past few months of working at OR I have met a few people with scars that they received from board to the face because they were using a leash.  One girl actually had not heard of the GOJOE and when she saw it, she went and made her friend pick one up.

Attached is a photo of my own Mako 150 from a few years ago.  A friend convinced me that using a leash was safer for me so I went with it.  I had the leash attached to the handle of the board. At one point I over sent the kite, the board came off my feet, and I went flying about 15 feet downwind.  The leash hit the end of it’s length and luckily the leash snapped.  You can see what it did to the handle before snapping.

Image Attachments

image.jpg

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

yes and by the way - the Soul is an amazing suit! I had mine out twice now, let the winter begin!

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

some wear the harness outside of the soul drysuit… the leash then would be free as with wearing a wetsuit…
still leashes aren’t great! get a GO JOE and watch the board just come to you!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Hello Rich;

Sorry - one more vote from me to NOT wear a leash with a twin tip. El Rudo points out everything anyone really needs to know…

A good solution if you just want that extra chance of retrieval before a wave takes your board is to tie a length of bright colour webbing to it, like a 2-3ft lanyard. Let it trail off of the board.

When you come off and are just inches from grabbing your board, you can usually grab the lanyard. Granted, this works better for surfboards as they tend to head away from you nose first and you tie it to the leash plug at the tail, but it would offer some use on a Mako I reckon. Unlike a leash, it offers no ‘boom’ like drag in the water (GoJoe doesn’t cause drag either for that matter).

Good winds.

Signature

Out there somewhere, takin’ it easy…

Joined 2013-11-24

PM

Hello folks
Thanks to everyone that replied to the thread.  Just back from a weeks work in Germany hence the slow reply.
Tomorrows forecast is looking good for wind and waves so I’ll give it a try with the lanyard attached to the board (not to me) and see how I get on without the leash.
Cheers
Rich

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-10-23

PM

Friends don’t let friends ride with board leashes.