Above the bar options for OR Bars

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I have two kite systems and two bars. One system is Core Sensor Bar: http://www.corekites.com/us/sensor-bar. Core has a clever above the bar clam cleat for depowering. The second system is my OR Freestyle bar which has a traditional pull-pull depower.

Core, Best, Gaastra, Liquid Force, Ozone and Blade have all now gone for above the bar cleats for their new bars. I for one would buy a new OR bar with an above the bar depower cleat.

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Hi Kirk
I learn’t to kite in the days when above the bar de-power was the only widely used option available be it webbing strap or clam-cleat.
When I started flying OR the Freeride bar with its below the bar trim was the only option OR offered. I don’t think its as easy to de-power compared to the above the bar option and takes some technique to master it. In some ways I’d still prefer the above bar trim option but the extra bar throw of below bar trim compared to the often limited throw of an above bar set-up more than makes up for it.
I had an OR Freestyle bar (above bar de-power) with my first Razor kite but quickly developed a preference for the added throw of either the Freeride or Fusion with their below the bar trim.
For me the only advantage of having the trim above is for those riders regularly unhooking who might need to make regular and quick adjustments to kite trim. As a freeride / wave sailor the extra throw offered by the below bar set-up makes for a cleaner and less cluttered control system. I rarely have to alter the trim on the water anyway and then only on the rare occasions when the wind really cranks up.
I would be interested to see and try out a bar with a cleat system in place of the webbing strap especially if there was an increase or increase option in above bar trim line length?   
See you in DK sometime next year!
Andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Andy, You can try my Core Sensor bar when you come up to visit. It has lots of throw and very good depower range. Lots of course racers use above the bar clam cleat systems because they need the throw and depower range at a position where they have enough leverage to instantly adjust it in powered conditions.
I put in a longer depower rope in Amsteel for my OR Freestyle bar and this makes a big difference for me. The stopper even makes sense to have on the bar now. But I might not be done modifying this bar. I could very well replace the pull pull system with a clam cleat.

I am not saying that OR should abandon below the bar even though the rest of the market is evolving away from them, I am saying that OR should continue to evolve their above the bar depower to match other brands and not stick with obsolete technology. I think that they would sell more bars.

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

OR has stated that a new above the bar trim bar is in the works, should be out in December.

Personally, I love the simplicity of the below the bar depower system currently utilized, and the added throw is a big bonus. I just would like to see a better center hole that would reduce wear on the trim line.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

Use some Switch parts to make your own cleat/trim system…?

Below-the-bar trim is dying because people want to unspin the double depower lines with under-the-bar spinner. Which adds complexity and parts… I just had to replace a bunch of stuff on one of my Cabrinha bars… not cheap. Unlike the OR Freeride bar!

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

kamikuza - 10 November 2013 03:53 AM

Use some Switch parts to make your own cleat/trim system…?

Below-the-bar trim is dying because people want to unspin the double depower lines with under-the-bar spinner. Which adds complexity and parts… I just had to replace a bunch of stuff on one of my Cabrinha bars… not cheap. Unlike the OR Freeride bar!

Yeah, the good thing with the OR bar is the depower line is $5 from WestMarine.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

Crew,

As mentioned by XL Kites on kiteforum last week, we have a new above the bar depower bar being released over the next couple of months.  http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2382588&hilit=flite+razor  This new bar will replace the Freestyle bar in the lineup and will be very easy to use.

A big thank you goes out to those of you who give us direct feedback through your session logs.  We read your “RND” feedback and take it into consideration as we develop new gear.

The new above the bar will be a simple clamcleat with trim line.  As soon as photos are available, we will share them here in the Crew pages and on the main OceanRodeo.com homepage.

Cheers,
Todd

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-10-23

PM

We’re thinking about calling it the Todd Bar.

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I would like to commission Sunrise to write a rhyme about the merits of above and below the bar depower. Are you tuned in Sunrise?

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide