Origin - first run and some thoughts

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

Got out on the lake today for the first time on the new board from OR - the Origin!

Weather station said we had 10 to 14 knots, gusts to 20. I don’t believe it - I think we had 15-20 and gusts to 25 because I was riding a 2011 Crossbow 10m and was riding upwind on a “small” board. Seriously, my other board is 170x50 so the Origin at 142x47 is small for me - I’m over 100kg :(

Back to the board. In short - it’s great!

Pros:
Great price!
Very easy planing and great upwind.
Very smooth through the chop.
NO spray in the face! None at all from normal riding; occasionally, I’d get squirted when I slammed into chop-waves flat-footed but that’ll learn me…
Pop is fine. It’s not a freestyle board so I guess the compromise for smooth and easy riding is less radical pop but it’s good enough for hooked in stunting!
Carves fine. It’s not a freaky razorblade like the Mako… more like a butter-knife but you can still play in the waves easily.
Pads are plush and grippy.
Landings are comfy. I got dropped a few times by the tiny 10m when jumps ran out of wind, but it was easy on my feet and knees.
Speed… I always seem to ride faster than everyone else, so I can’t really tell but for me, the board lands with speed and rides at speed just fine. 

Cons:
Don’t like the straps. They sit more over my toes than I like… but that’s just me.
Wish it was orange :D

In summary - excellent all-round free-ride twin tip, especially for the price!

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

Got out in big wind this week - first time I ever got to ride my 7m kite :D

Board is great - now I’m noticing how good it is through chop and how well it handles power… despite 40knot gusts, I never got the run-away-train, cant-edge feeling…

Getting used to the straps too - maybe they’re stretching to my feet…

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

The more I ride this board, the more I like it… and I liked it a lot on the first day :D

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-02-04

PM

I had a chance to ride the origin yesterday afternoon.
The wind was about 11knts. The condition of the lake was half foot chop.
The board was smooth in the chop. The wide shape of the board really helped keep me going through lulls. I was impressed with how well the board went up wind. I did a couple of jumps with it and noticed it had a nice mild flex making for a smooth landing. The straps seemed okay. I personal have trouble with my feet falling out of any strap I wear so I was curious if the board would support bindings? Not sure if a standard hole spacing between wake boards and kite boards has been agreed on…

Great job on the board!

It was also my first time flying the 14m Prodigy and I liked the solid pull of the kite and how stable it was. It just sits there waiting for you to sign it. I did find it turned a bit slower compared to my 15m LW rise though. That’s partly what makes it a great kite to learn on and just cruise around with. It also was super easy to re-launch from the water.

Brian