Mako King setup for long distance race? Any thoughts?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-06-25

PM

I will be rideing my Mako King on the redbull coast to coast long distance race (40 km) on 7 september. This race over open sea goes back and forth from Germany (Fehmarn) to Denmark. I am puzzeled over the fin/strap setup I will use.. The wind force and direction are of course not yet know (not so predicable). So it could be half wind back and forth. But it could also be a more upwind downwind race in which case upwind performance is crucial. I guess they will alter the route if it becomes a pure upwind run in either direction. I guess 20 km upwind is not do-able in the given time slot..

I have directional straps to be used from two sides, or TT footpads and straps, 2 x 56mm fins and two 100mm fins.. what can you recommend for which conditions?
I guess I should use mutant setting if it is very choppy (and windy) and a half wind back and forth. In that case I would put maximum fin surface in the back, no fins in front..
In case of lighter wind conditions and/or more upwind demands I would need the full rail to get upwind as fast as possible. I might rig it as a TT. Anyone any thoughts on this?

If its very windy and choppy and half wind I could also switch to a 140x40 or 150x40….

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-10-23

PM

Just sent you an email.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-06-25

PM

Thanks Steve for the Reply.
I succesfully finished the Redbull Coast 2 Coast challenge from Fehmarn Germany to Denmark and back. I tracked 55 Kilometer in about 2,5 hours.. Where others where complaining about fatique I was in very good shape after the crossing.. Probably it was not only due to condition, but mostly to the comfortable Mako King I was riding.. The Strap setup I used maximized flexibility of use. I had tree regular TT fins on the back side and one in front. I used pads and straps at the TT position, and extra directional straps behind the TT positions.. I found myselve riding mostly in the widest stance possible. So front footstrap of TT position plus the back strap of the mutant position.. Very comfortable, good edge control.. It was even possible and comfortable enough to ride the TT pad and strap from the wrong side (had the straps quite loose). The conditions were choppy, 14 tot 19 knots wind and 13m kite.