2013 Razor 12m did not completely roll over after safety release (Fusion bar) - how to correct?
Posted: 20 August 2013 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-08-20

Hi OR riders,

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2013 Razor demo kite with a fusion bar (the somewhat older model with the bend). The last two weeks I had the chance to get to know this kite in France.

At one session, the wind dropped, resulting in the kite kite crashing on the water. Because of the low wind speed I was not able to relaunch it. When I decided to release the safety system so I could roll up the lines and make a floating package of the kite, I noticed that the kite would not flip over completely to it’s back, which made it hard to roll up the lines. It was not far away from the shore, so I decided to drift a bit further and got safe out of the water.

I was however surprised that the kite did not roll over to its back. After studying the bridle afterwards, it seemed to me that the stopper knots were preventing the kite to completely flip over (see attached picture, knot to the left of the right pulley). Probably because the knots were forcing the bridle to keep tension on the front wing tips.

Am i correct about this or am I missing something here?
Is this the intended bridle setup?
Does this not occur in stronger winds?
What will happen if I move the stopper knots closer to the pulley on the left side of the picture? I guess that completely removing the knots completely is no option because the line is too thick at the end and would wear too fast or make the pulley stuck.
And most of all, how to fix this?

Many questions… I am looking forward to reading your opinions about this.
Stefan

Image Attachments
20130813_195719.jpg

Posted: 20 August 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

DON’T REMOVE THE KNOTS they are engineered to stop the pulley ... I suspect your kite didn’t roll over because there wasn’t enough wind on the water to engage the bridle. Here is how you should approach your kite for self rescue: If your kite is down & you want to self rescue ( NOT RE-LAUNCH) grab one of the turning lines ‘re-ride’ handles http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/fusion-bar  & give it a tug too release the velcro. 2. Release your safety line. Now your kite should have little load on it as it is drifting downwind from one wing tip. 3. pull the ‘re-ride’ line until you get your bar back. 4. Wrap the ‘re-ride’ steering line around the bar @ least the span of the kite (more is better) to avoid the kite taking off. 5. Wrap up the rest of the lines on your bar. 6. Self rescue, your flying session is OVER. Here is a self rescue video (not mine or O.R.)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSlN4FtCm8  Where I kite we are on our own so if the wind is blowing towards the beach we keep the kite inflated & lay on one end of the kite & use the kite lines to control the other end like a sail . With practice this can get you to shore with little effort.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 22 August 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-08-20

Hi jl,
Thanks for your extensive reply.
I am going to check the safety again in stronger wind and post the results.

Posted: 22 August 2013 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Good luck. I suspect you will be pleasantly rewarded

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

‹‹ line length      new lines ››