Razor Depower

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-08-17

PM

I am new to the site and Ocean Rodeo Kites.  I demoed some Razors and Prodigys and went with the Razors. I am coming off of Airush Lithiums and am really liking the quickness of the Razor and lighter bar pressure.  Not to mention the awesome support form the Ocean Rodeo crew.

I have a question about depower when popping the chicken loop.  Twice I have been in a situation this week where I found myself with not enough wind to relaunch my 12 M and and having to self rescue.  In both instances my kite was down wind of me with the leading edge facing down with the chicken loop safety deployed and my kite on my leash line with the bar up by the swivel.  I believe the fusion has a mini 5th line system.  While there was not enough wind to relaunch there was enough for the kite to pull me down wind making it hard to get my line wrapped.  I couldn’t for the life of me get the kite to fall on its back like my lithium would.

Does anyone have tips on what I am doing wrong?  The kite is on the center lines with slack in the steering lines but the kite just wants to float upright while pulling.  I tried swimming to the kite to release line tension however maybe I didn’t swim aggressively enough. Maybe there is a detail I am forgetting from when I had my lessons a while back?

Any advice is appreciated.

John

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2007-07-09

PM

Hi John, and welcome!  I can not be completely sure what is happening here, but it would seem like a bar/set up issue.  You may not have the correct bar or it may not be set up correctly in order to lengthen the steering lines enough to let the kite roll on it’s back.  However, it could be that the wind speed dropped so low that there was not enough to get it to do the roll.

I suspect there will be some other’s running this system that can provide more insight as well, but you may want to take some measurements on how much slack there are in your seering lines when your chicken loop is pulled and you are on the safety leash.

Signature

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M.  2011 Rise 8M, 6M.
2011 Razors 12M, 10M, 8M
Pyro Pro

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Which bar do you have?
It could be pre 2012 freeride which does not have enough throw to make the kite go on to it’s back. Not to much of a problem to pack down as you should wind in one front line several turns anyway which will allow the kite to drop on to its back

Joined 2013-08-17

PM

The more I think about it the more I think that it was just a situation of not quite enough wind to push it over or not swimming enough at the kite.  I have a fusion bar so I don’t this its a bar issue.

Thanks for the comment.  I may play around with next time I am out.

John

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

1. When you ‘punch out’ or let go of the bar your RAZOR should roll onto it’s back. If it’s pulling you down wind @ this point & you want to self rescue ( NOT RE-LAUNCH) grab one of the turning lines ‘re-ride’ handles http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/fusion-bar  & give it a tug too release the velcro. 2. Release your safety line. Now your kite should have little load on it as it is drifting downwind from one wing tip. 3. pull the ‘re-ride’ line until you get your bar back. 4. Wrap the ‘re-ride’ steering line around the bar @ least the span of the kite (more is better) to avoid the kite taking off. 5. Wrap up the rest of the lines on your bar. 6. Self rescue, your flying session is OVER. ... Here is a self rescue video (not mine or O.R.)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSlN4FtCm8  Where I kite we are on our own so if the wind is blowing towards the beach we keep the kite inflated & lay on one end of the kite & use the kite lines to control the other end like a sail . With practice this can get you to shore with little effort.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2013-08-17

PM

Thanks for the advice on using the reride handles and flagging the kite out on one line.  I did think about flagging the kite on one line but it was not that dire of situation so I just swam to shore then recovered the kite. 

I am just curious why it would not roll on its back when I popped the loop as that is how I thought the Direct Depower system works.

I had a great session Saturday and Sunday with no issues, however I didn’t have to pop the loop. When I put the kite on the water it came back up.