Razor Setup
Posted: 12 August 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09

Ok, I’ve been riding the Razor for 3 years now and love it, but I’m wondering, when I try other kites I can keep the bar in closer and with less throw and still have solid pull. It seems like with the Razor it’s sweet spot is about 10 inches off the chicken loop, which is fine, except when I go to loop my arms get extended out too.  I’m mainly doing backroll kiteloops. I typically ride the smallest kite possible if I’m doing loops, but I have to be severely underpowered to keep the bar close in and not get overextended.

That and I find it pretty difficult to find the sweet spot when unhooking (which I’m still just getting down so it could be me) but I have better luck with the Cypher.

Any suggestions?

Posted: 12 August 2013 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2007-03-19

Interesting observations!

I can’t say that I personally pay too much attention to how far in or out the bar is when I do kiteloops is. I tend to focus more on where my hand is on the bar, and then just whether I pull extremely hard (in tight), or moderately.

I will say that for me the Razor loops best when it has a little to no trim taken out - 0-2” for me works well. As the power increases so of course does the pressure and the tendency to have the bar further out. I find your best bet here is to concentrate hard on reefing the bar to start the loop.

As you come around through your spin/roll, it’s pretty natural to let the bar out a bit as you uncoil your body for landing. This action helps you two fold - 1) gets you in place to stomp the landing, but also 2) sheets out the kite, and allows it to climb through the window and catch you for landing (as opposed to powering through and creating even more horizontal momentum for epic crashes!).

The Cypher pulls more directly and is a super quick looper. Since you don’t have that kite in the power zone as long, my gut says it’s just easier to hold down the bar on the Cypher as opposed to the Razor.

2 cents from a resident Razor looper here at OR HQ smile

Ned
Ocean Rodeo

Posted: 20 August 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-10-19

What I notice with the razor is that it backstalls pretty much with unhooking. So when unhooking you have to pull your depower strap so that it won’t stall!

In loops you maybe have to do some pull ups for stronger arms wink

Image Attachments
312139_10150420546044680_562239679_10470456_2111617492_n (Small) (2) (Mobile).jpg

Posted: 21 August 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-10-01

Lines stretch over time, I’ve tweaked my depower rope length so that I’m comfortable when unhooking. The kite doesn’t backstall when I pull in the bar (it goes back slightly into the window but remains in that position). I use that setting for all round riding as well and never feel underpowered.

Posted: 10 September 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Check/shorten your front lines (or extend back lines / duh) ... Hook your front line larks head over a nail (or tie to a knot on the end of a rope) & steering lines @ the eye before the tag rope. Stretch out all 4 lines. They should be adjusted to be even. If your kite is drifting backwards out of the sky when bar is in OR you have to reach a long ways to reach full power OR your kite is steering oddly it’s time to adjust those lines !!!

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 26 October 2013 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-10-26

I have 2012 razor 7m.
Great lowend and very fast. This is my high wind surf kite.

So, when I first got it it was way over tuned. In order to bring it into a good angle of attack I pulled 6 inches on my depower.
I am a very experienced kiter, my bar and lines are perfectly tuned.
So, i rigged a new rear pigtail with 4 extra knots to lengthen the rear lines. i don’t know if your all afraid to admit that the kite was way over tuned, but i am not. It needs at least 6 inches to the back line on my 7m. Otherwise the kite flares and stalls back instantly. Otherwise the kite really is nice and powerful and fast, but way over tuned.

To the original poster: it is not you!! Just add some extra length to the rear lines.
I think OR over compensated because of the venturi tech and allowed too much degree of AOA when fully sheeted.
Plus when kite looping you want the kite to breath without massive bar pressure and any stall in the rotation.

Posted: 26 October 2013 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09
JB - 26 October 2013 02:35 PM

I have 2012 razor 7m.
Great lowend and very fast. This is my high wind surf kite.

So, when I first got it it was way over tuned. In order to bring it into a good angle of attack I pulled 6 inches on my depower.
I am a very experienced kiter, my bar and lines are perfectly tuned.
So, i rigged a new rear pigtail with 4 extra knots to lengthen the rear lines. i don’t know if your all afraid to admit that the kite was way over tuned, but i am not. It needs at least 6 inches to the back line on my 7m. Otherwise the kite flares and stalls back instantly. Otherwise the kite really is nice and powerful and fast, but way over tuned.

To the original poster: it is not you!! Just add some extra length to the rear lines.
I think OR over compensated because of the venturi tech and allowed too much degree of AOA when fully sheeted.
Plus when kite looping you want the kite to breath without massive bar pressure and any stall in the rotation.

Hmmm….....yeah I may try this.

‹‹ 2014 Info?      I am new to this forum ››