Looping a 10m Razor
Posted: 09 August 2013 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-09-01

Anyone have any experience looping the 10m razor on 23m lines.  It seems doable, but my loop comfort zone is always the 7m kite and the 20m or shorter lines.  I can get plenty of height with a 10m razor, just want to know if anyone has had experience throwing loops with lines of this length, will it turn fast enough to go back over your head and catch you on the way down??? Or is it just better to use shorter lines.  Also if someone has a vid, that would inspire some confidence.  I just dont want to risk breaking a board or myself if its not worth it.

Btw, i mean powered kiteloops (some call them megaloops) obviously any kite pussyloops on the way down or whatever safely.

Posted: 09 August 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-08-23

What is great about the Razor is you get out of it what you put in.  Aggressive or mellow because of the on demand shut off with the bar throw. Start slowly by doing some overhead heli loops and down loops when you are a little under powered. Get used to sheeting out and how much you need to sheet out as the loop completes. Then progress from there. The 23m lines will have more play so you need to be aggressive with the bar and stay committed till kite loops then sheet out. The Razors are very predictable but will also push you as far as you want to go.  grin

Posted: 09 August 2013 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-23

Also I switched to 20m lines and use them for my 10 and 7. I found that length to be the sweet spot. The bar ends ( I have a 2012 Fusion bar) I think have 1m rope on them so the total length is 21m. I am progressing on waves and find the kites to be much more reactive. I would buy a set of 20m lines and see what you think and if you don’t like it you can switch back to the 23m. Or if you are convinced cut the 23m. For loops and waves 20m is the way to go.

Posted: 12 August 2013 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-10-01

I’m learning to do proper kiteloops as well but the 10m scares me a bit, if I jump 4-5m high the kite won’t catch me before I hit the water so you’ll need to boost pretty high (8m+ should do it I think), haven’t tried this yet because of lack of balls :D. Waiting for a good 30 knots session to play around with my 7m.

Hoping OR will come with a 9m razor in 2014.

Posted: 12 August 2013 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-09-01

I think the 10m is fine, its more a length of the lines.  I dont have any 20m lines anymore and dont really want to throw it properly.  I agree you need a good bit of air.  Wonder if anyone has video doing big loops on 23m lines…

Posted: 12 August 2013 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-01

I still have a set of 20m lines lying around so I guess I could hook those up to my bar and try it. Starting small obviously since I just started doing kiteloops.

Posted: 12 August 2013 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-23

Yep. Starting with the 7 is a good plan. You can practice on an open beach in light winds to see and feel what the kite is doing. I would try the 20m lines just to see if you think the kite flies better. If you have a bigger kite than the 10 you might stay with longer lines for the bigger sizes. Do a search for kite loops and you will find plenty of videos. Try kiteforum too.

Posted: 13 August 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-01
windnwater - 12 August 2013 11:05 PM

Yep. Starting with the 7 is a good plan. You can practice on an open beach in light winds to see and feel what the kite is doing. I would try the 20m lines just to see if you think the kite flies better. If you have a bigger kite than the 10 you might stay with longer lines for the bigger sizes. Do a search for kite loops and you will find plenty of videos. Try kiteforum too.

I’m already looping the 10m at 4-5m high but you get the occasional beating, it’s about looping the kite at 8m+ high on 23m lines, if the kite doesn’t catch you from that height you risk both your board and your body. Looping the 7m kite at 5m high should be really easy but I haven’t been in good 7m winds since I started looping. I’ll try the 10m kite with the 20m lines and see how it goes when I loop the kite at 5m high, if I get confident I’ll loop it from higher boosts.

Looping a kite on the beach is never a good idea, sure it’s no problem to loop a 7 in marginal winds on the beach but why would you? For people who do a first time kiteloop (not with a jump/backroll/etc) they should just point the board downwind and loop the kite while riding.

Posted: 16 August 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2006-11-15

My experience; 7 & 8 are awesome for powered loop on 20m lines. Even though the Razor is a fast kite, 9m and up will be to slow to put you down smoothly. For powered loops you need 25+ knots anyway. 9 & 10 are good for unhooked or low pop loops though.

Posted: 20 August 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-10-19

The trick with loops with bigger kites is a proper wind for the 10m i think 25+kn..
Thereby try to stear your kite from half past 1 to 12 and loop. Like this you will go up in stead of forward. When you go more forewards the kite will not have enough pressure and will turn slower.

Another thing that can help is pulling harder with your back hand and get the tension in your abs. In this way you will fly in controll and won’t get the turning speed out of your kite!

With an 8 razor it’s just waiting for 30-35+ kn and loop that BEAST!

‹‹ Mako 150 vs mako king      2014 Info? ››