Help with Mako purchase
Posted: 03 August 2013 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-08-03

I am new to kiteboarding, taking lessons, and beginning to consider new gear.  I received the recommendation from Kitty Hawk Kites that I seriously consider a Mako King.  Before this, my instructor was saying that I should purchase a Cabrihna Xcaliber 138 twin tip.  The Xcaliber is the board that I am learning on.  I am 6’3” inches tall and 200 pounds (91 kilograms) - therefore, I am not a small guy.  Conditions here in Southeastern North Carolina are riding all in the ocean so in the surf and some chop.  Typically, 16 to 18 knots sometimes better.  I am interested in getting feedback on getting a Mako King verses a Mako 150 plus purchasing a Mako 140 as my higher wind fun board.  I discussed all this with my instructor today, and he said I might as well get a surfboard if I was considering a Mako King.  I will be certain to demo the Makos along with the two kites I am considering, which are the 14m and 10m versions of the Cabrihna Switchblade and Slingshot Rally.

Thanks for your insight!

Posted: 03 August 2013 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-25

Hi NCWater,
Good idea to consider a Mako King. I am kiteboarding for little over a year now. Owned 4 conventional twintips (bought and sold secondhand). After that I bought a 140x40 Mako and after riding it for 50 meters I knew it was gonna stay… I came accross a King and happily use it in 12 to 20 knots conditions… I could elaborate on the characteristics of the Mako’s but you can find those stories all over the internet. You should just trie one or two Mako’s and some other boards and let these experiences guide you.. I predict chances are slim you will not end up with a Mako… The 140x40 and King is a very nice combination. The overlap in suitability for circumstances is large enough to ensure you have the right board for the job. In most cases you will have a choice. The fun with the King is you can ride it as mutant or directional too. This week I first tried it as a strapless directional.. Very nice to trie and experience, and relatively easy. Nice addition to my choice in board(setup)s to take out.

Posted: 03 August 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-08-03

I dont want to jack his thread but I am 190 lbs. Should I go for the 140 or 150. I am in the same situation as OP. I plan on being on maui but I am not sure if I should go for the bigger size

Posted: 03 August 2013 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

I am 83 kilo and use a 140 and a King.. If I would buy just one I would probably go for the 150… But only because I like to ride when possible.. There are enough spoiled kitesurfers around here that skip opportunities with conditions under lets say 18 knots… I you are like that you could take the 140….  Keep in mind that a 140 Mako compares to a 132 or so conventional TT board since the last centimeters of the nose and tail do barely provide planing surface….

Posted: 03 August 2013 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-03
Peer - 03 August 2013 11:47 PM

I am 83 kilo and use a 140 and a King.. If I would buy just one I would probably go for the 150… But only because I like to ride when possible.. There are enough spoiled kitesurfers around here that skip opportunities with conditions under lets say 18 knots… I you are like that you could take the 140….  Keep in mind that a 140 Mako compares to a 132 or so conventional TT board since the last centimeters of the nose and tail do barely provide planing surface….

Ill refuse the shipment and get a 150 shipped to me. What would you say about the 150 compared to in terms of A TT? I think I would rather have 1 board. I am in Texas atm and I know the wind here isnt that great. I would have to have a bigger board to learn and the 165 will be a pain in the ass to travel with to Maui or ingeneral due to the size

Posted: 04 August 2013 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

Makos are great for beginners since they edge so well.. because of the huge concave… 150 will be big enough for you dont worry.. compare it to a conventional 142 cm TT. But this one is an ATB….

Posted: 04 August 2013 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-03
Peer - 04 August 2013 12:02 AM

Makos are great for beginners since they edge so well.. because of the huge concave… 150 will be big enough for you dont worry.. compare it to a conventional 142 cm TT. But this one is an ATB….

well now I have to refuse the shipment and purchase another one.

Posted: 04 August 2013 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-08-03

Since I cant send messages I will post this here.

Well I figured since your question was already answered and it was along the same topic I thought both of us could have benefited from it, because both of us are in the same situation of being only a 10 lb difference looking for the same board
———- Original Message———-
You should have started your own post on Makos.