looking for advice on mako size

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-08-01

PM

Hello or forum,

I am after some advice on the right sized mako for my needs. I weigh about 80kg and am an experienced kiter, I ride mainly in small to medium wave locations, average winds are 15-20 knots. I have a light wind TT and a stonger wind TT so am looking for a board to fill the sweet spot in between. I am really only interested in riding waves, hard carving and boosting. I don’t really get into much freestyle stuff, just the occasional back/front loops, dark slides ect.

From the limited online research I have done I am leaning towards the mako 150. There is no possibilty of demos where I live and I don’t know anybody with a mako.

So the question is what is the right size for me, and is the mako the right board for my needs.

Thanks in advance for your input

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Based on your weight, conditions, and intended use in the waves I would go Mako 150.
The extra surface area and length make give the 150 a more surf feel and bottom end than the 140.
The Mako King is another option when set up in mutant mode. You loose the balanced twin tip ride while riding backwards,....more like aross between twin tip and riding a directional surfboard
Mako 150 also has mutant inserts,....if your a solid toe side rider this can really open up some hard carving in the waves.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-08-01

PM

thanks for all the input. I have posted this question in a couple of different forums and the overriding consensus is the 150. The other thing I have noted is that unusually there are hardly any negative comments about the mako range, only guys frothing over these boards. Usually you will at least get a few crew who have negative things to say about a bit of kit.

Do you know if OR are releasing 2014 gear soon?. It would be frustrating to buy a 2013 only for an updated model to come out in a few weeks.

Also what fin configurations are you using?. I am thinking I will purchase the 80mm surf fin for my natural back end

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

if we changed the Mako we’d have a riot on our hands!
The Mako will only see a graphic change sometime in 2014,...shape, construction, flex….are sacred ground and will remain the same.

Re fins,....yes mix them up and throw in bigger rear fin for more bite. The full surf fins catch more while riding backwards however. The stock fins,...single at each end work well,...perhaps start here and tune as you put hours on the board.