razor ghost launch on water - seeking help
Posted: 02 June 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

I have ghost-launched (chicken loop attached to fixed point, kite on wingtip at edge of window) OR kites, including my 2012 10m razor, many times with no problems with the kite resting on the beach.  However, at a new spot I have tried to launch the razor with the bar at a fixed point and the kite resting in a foot or so of water, and the kite has dropped to its leading edge and drifted downwind.  Anyone else had this problem?

One possibility that occurred to me is too little back line tension—I don’t use the sliding stopper on the OR bar and it is all the way up by the pulley, so there is pretty much no back line tension until I grab the bar.  Could this be contributing to the problem (it doesn’t seem to matter when the kite is on land)?

Any help appreciated—it would be useful to have this work as reliably as it does on land.  Seems to work fine for deltas and some other kites.

Thanks,

Andy

Posted: 02 June 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Try SHORTENING the FRONT lines so it’s not stalled

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
jl - 02 June 2013 04:06 PM

Try SHORTENING the FRONT lines so it’s not stalled

Thanks, Jl.  Pardon my ignorance, but

1. wouldn’t that have the same effect as moving the stopper closer to the bar?

2. I thought stalling was caused by oversheeting - wouldn’t shortening the front lines make stalling more likely?

Thanks for any further explanation.

Andy

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Damn, your correct. Try no stopper & allowing the kite to roll onto it’s ‘back’. Then when you pull the bar towards you tug on the top steering line to induce a launch

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
jl - 02 June 2013 05:21 PM

Damn, your correct. Try no stopper & allowing the kite to roll onto it’s ‘back’. Then when you pull the bar towards you tug on the top steering line to induce a launch

That works—but the kite goes straight downwind on its back, and at the two launches in question that means some risk of puncture on marsh grasses.  I’d like to replicate what the kite does for a ghost launch on land.

Andy

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

I get it. Now. On land I’d put a weight bag on the kite to hold it in position

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2013 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-11-25

I think you have to move the stopper towards the bar, to a sweet spot where the kite should sit nicely at the side of the wind window. Not right against the bar, but close enough that there’s some power in the kite so it doesn’t just fall over. Good luck.
George