Self launch
Posted: 26 April 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Here is a video of self launching a bridled kite:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KMegFouZcas  I find with newer kites a weight bag helps pin it before walking back to my kite bar… ALTERNATE METHOD: With the O.R. ‘roll over bridle’ you can tip the kite downwind onto its back. ( Go ahead, secure your chicken loop directly up wind (tether or a vertical post) & walk downwind to your kite & place it in the launch position for a ‘hot launch’ . NO WEIGHT BAG REQ’D. Kite will roll onto it’s back ) Then: 1. Walk back to your chicken loop & hook onto it (after securing your safety line & freeing your chicken loop from tether etc.) ...  2. Walk down center lines or pull them until you can grasp the bar ... 3. Ensure you have adequate depower for launch (MORE depower is safer !!!) ... 4. Gently pull on TOP steering (outside) line to allow kite to move to the edge of the window for a controlled launch as in video

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2012-12-20

I launch in a similar way whenever there’s no help but usually without another post downwind of the bar and without a dog running in and out of my lines, That’s a pretty tight launch spot but I guess you have to use what you’ve got. Good job the OR kites are well behaved.

Posted: 21 May 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Good observations !!! The Dog is in a safe spot when I kite She just was in the video because it was a practice session.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

‹‹ Rear Line ReRide      Go Joe question ››