Mako King, directionnal, difficulties going upwind
Posted: 09 April 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-07-07

I don’t understand why I can’t go upwind with the King, in directional setting. I use the speed3 21 in 10-12 knots, no waves and having the King with the three back fins. Straps back. Although I go fine, I can’t go upwind, having a lot of drifting.
When I use the Mako 150 as TT, and same kite S3 21 in 12 knots, I have very fine upwind performance. Why as directional is so hard?
Any help? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Kostas

Posted: 10 April 2013 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2011-04-13

Riding a directional takes quite a bit of practice. The king has less float than a standard surfboard so it’s a bit more sensative to foot placement.  Having your weight too far back on the board is going to hurt your upwind ability, but help with control in the waves in certain situations.  For upwind performance, try to ride the board flattened out a bit but still engaging the rail a little and your weight more or less centered over the board. 

Riding toeside in straps and getting good upwind performance is going to be more challenging.  Dialing in heal side first in both directions is probably the easier route to start. 

Unless there is a lot of current (going against you) or your really heavy (90kg or more) you shouldn’t have a problem w that kit/board/wind combo.

Cheers

Posted: 10 April 2013 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

I find the king goes up wind better TT mode than directional . but is far better on the waves as a directional.
To help the king go up wind as a directional you need to as Gavin say to get your weight further forward.  I ride with my back foot in front of the rear strap up wind and in the strap on waves.

Posted: 12 April 2013 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-01-17

are you positioning yourself too far back on the board when riding? Many years ago coming from windsurfing I was used to riding the tail of the board so when kiteboarding started and the the the first directionals were out I could ride but had a few sessions where I couldn’t get very high upwind and then realized rather than riding the tail i needed to lean forward a bit and sink the rail and that made a world of difference shooting way upwind. Try shifting your body position.

Posted: 12 April 2013 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-07-07

Hi guys,
when in directional setting of King, what fins do you use? I used the three 100mm (coming with the board) but having a lot of “trembling” of the tail. When put the body more forward, I have a lot of drifting! Then I tried one 104mm center, two 54mm right and left, it was better but not going upwind! All this with 10-12 knots, speed3 21.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Kostas

Posted: 15 June 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-09-03

Bit late to the party I know but… 10-12 knots on the S3-21 and the Mako 150 in mutant mode, I fly upwind!

I think… you need to get the board speed up then use the edge a little (too much and it’ll skip out under you) and the fins to angle upwind. Using an 80mm OR fin, and 2 51mm on the rear, a 56 on the front. Board goes upwind fine both directions!

‹‹ mako 135 upwind technique      Hatteras 2013 ››