Mako fins

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-12-04

PM

I have removed and reinstalled my fins numerous times due to travel and so forth.  One of them will not firmly hold the screws any longer.  What can I do?  Plumbers tape, etc?

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

First check it does not have a split between the holes. .If that is ok. it is the threads in the fin which have worn out.  . Filling the hole with epoxy and re tapping will work but with constant mounting and demounting this will fail and need re doing.  Best solution is to carry spare fins so if a problem does arrive you have the time to make a fix

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Like Sunrise says, filling them back up with pox will work. If you don’t have access to M6 tapping tools you can try to dip a screw in PVA, you can make a PVA solution by diluting one of those dishwasher tablet wrappers in a spoonful of water. Make sure the PVA solution is not too slimy as that will go at the cost of detail of the to be molded thread. Dip in the screw and let the PVA dry up, now there’s a water diluting release film on the thread.
You may need to carefully ream the hole with a Ø6mm drill bit to remove some old thread.
Fill the fin hole with pox and press the screw in to the wet resin. After curing, just immerse the fin in hot water to let the PVA dilute once more and turn out the screw.
As an alternative to Epoxy you can use an MMA 2 component adhesive, this is stronger.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-12-04

PM

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a try.