Wonky 12m Rise.  Advice needed!

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-08-09

PM

Hey all,

I have been kiting for a year now and am experiencing an issue w/ my 2012 12m Rise.  It has a natural tendency to turn to the right and I dont know how to correct the issue.  I am unsure if it has always been like this or if it has just started doing this recently.  When I load and pop going left, the kite always wants to fly up to the 12 unless i put heavy pressure on the left side of the bar.  When load/popping to the right, the kite always wants to dive down to the water.  I experience similar issues when sending the kite.  When travelling going left, i have to give constant left bar pressure to keep the kite in place (it wants to go up to the right) but when travelling to the right, I have to give left bar pressure as well to keep it in place. The kite is still flyable but it makes the session extremely frustrating.

What have i done to try and fix this?
-I measure out the lines and made sure they were all the same length.
-I flew the kite w/ the steering lines reversed.  The kite still flies to the right.  This tells me it is definitely not the lines.
-I inspected the bridle to ensure there were no knots.  I also compared the length of the left and right bridle lines to ensure uniformity.
-I opened up the LE zipper and strut velcros to try and move the bladders around without having to remove them.
-Visually inspected the kite for tears.  There were none.

I tried all of this and still no fix.  What else should i try?  Thanks all!

-Travis

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

2 things to check: 1. Ensure the stretchy strap that runs from the tip to the end of the adjacent panel is loose http://oceanrodeo.com/products/rise  2. Measure the panels to see that they are equal. (did kite fly O.K. previously or is this a production problem ?) Best of luck & keep us posted.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I had a similar issue with my original 2012 12m Razor. Did all the same things as you, never found the problem. It was only slightly uneven in steering correctly but it had to be something in the kite, not lines or bridle. My dealer took care of it, great service!

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Travis,
check if the seams on the venturi flaps are all in tact.
Rudo

Joined 2011-08-09

PM

I flew the kite today.  When i brought the left steering line in one knot on the bar, it made it almost feel normal.  I was concerned it might have been a line problem again but i confirmed again by swapping the steering lines around and it still naturally wants to go right- not a line issue.

-The stretchy band on the corners are loose, but they arent equally loose.  It looks like one may have been sewn further in than the other.  If pictures would help, let me know and i’ll snap a shot or two.
-I measured the bridle.  The “F” line (outer most upper line) has a difference of 1/8-1/4” of length between the left and right.  I’m unsure if this is enough to justify the performance issues i am experiencing.
-I measured the widths on the panels but didnt have time to knock out the rest.  All measured equal so far.
-I believe the performance issues are recent and were not always there from the beginning, but i cant be 100% sure.
-I bought from OR so no local dealer for me!  I am living in Okinawa, Japan so the english speaking local resources are pretty much non-existant.
-I’ll check the venturi tomorrow. 
Please keep the ideas/suggestions coming if you have ‘em.  Thanks!
-Travis

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Tighten the longer ‘F’ line so it = the other ‘F’ ... An overhand knot might do it

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2011-08-09

PM

Reviving an old thread…

No fix yet to this wonky problem.  I have flown the kite w/ another OR bar w/ the same wonky result.  Bridle lengths on each side of the kite have minimal variation.  Everything from an exterior perspective looks A-ok. 
The only way to get this kite to fly close to even is to take 2” or so out of the left steering line by adjusting the knot placement at the bar end of the steering line.  This shouldn’t be the right answer to this problem- i view it more as a band-aid solution because i know the kite can’t be flying at 100%.
Could there be an issue w/ the leading edge bladder that everytime it is pumped up is causing this? 
Anything else I may be missing here? 
Thanks for the help all.
-Travis

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hi Travis,
One thing to check is if the LE tube is twisted. This can happen if the kite has been repeatedly loaded more on one side than another (crashes, kite loops, self launching with weight on the wingtip, rolled in the surf). It was quite common on C kites but happens less on bridled kites as the bridles spread the load on the LE tube better.
To check , inflate your kite in a calm, flat area. Place the kite LE down same as you would on the beach. Now check the height of the wingtips relative to the ground, is one higher than the other? Check if one side of the LE tube sits closer to the ground than the other. If there is a difference take note of which side is lower.
  Now the fun part. Get some one to help you. Pick up the kite at the center of the LE tube and rotate it so that the wingtips are pointing up.  Have your helper hold the LE tube about a meter away from the center and you do the same on the other side so your both holding the LE tube on either side, facing each other. Now slowly twist the LE tube in the opposite direction to the twist you noticed when the kite was on the ground. Put the kite back on the ground and note the difference. It will take a few tries to get it right so that the LE is symmetrical. you may have to move farther apart or closer to target the twisted area.
  I have straightened out many kites ( many brands) over the years by doing this.
Hope this helps.
  Ross