OBX 2013 Cape Hatterus Flights and Car Pools

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-05-12

PM

Hello Everybody,

Its only 95 days till the OBX Crew event!! Woot Woot!!

I’m starting to look at flights and figured we could use this thread to time arrivals and departures with others to make carpools from the airport to the hotel easier.

I think I will try and get to Norfolk around 2 - 3 pm on the 13th. Return date depends on the last night of accommodation included in the trip. Does anyone (JZ tongue wink )know what day we need to check out of Kitty Hawk?

Can’t wait for this trip, I was watching kite videos all day and I’m pumped for the water smile .

Cheers,
John Bais

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-11-20

PM

Good idea on the thread…
Me and 3 other buddies are thinking of booking… the other guys dont ride OR so i guess they will be bugged at first.  Looks like its 1hour 15 minutes from Norfolk, I was planning on renting a vehicle as I dont imagine OR will be transporting.  Ill keep you posted in case we rent a bigger vehicle.  Does anyone know what exactly goes on at these events?  organized down winders? Can you just take a demo kite and leave for the day, or do you have to stay and demo where the kites are?

Dave

Signature

2008 14M Rise, 2011 12M Rise, 2009 10M Rise, 2011 8M Rise
Mako Mini, Mako 150 classic, Mako 150 Wide, 2010 Mako King, 129 Zen
...Ya, I like OR! I want a 138 JT Pro email me if you have one for sale smile

Joined 2009-11-20

PM

just booked for me and one friend!  I spoke with John today and he said we need to check out by 11-11:30am on the sunday but we can still kite the day there if we want.
looks like we should be expecting about 18 degree water temp
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Frisco-Pier/seatemp

Dave

Signature

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2011-04-21

PM

Hey I’m in the same boat. I haven’t booked my flight yet. Would hate to rent a car just to park it all week and ride to and from the airport. I booked a shared room. I’m traveling alone. I’ll stay on this topic before booking anything so far. Would be great to catch a ride from the airport!

-Ryan

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2011-09-19

PM

Hi guys, myself and a few others from the UK headed over for this trip last year, and you 1500% won’t regret going on this trip!
The kiting conditions, accomodation, crew are the best of any trip I’ve been on.
A few bits of advice, I would take a thin wetsuit for riding on the sea side, the sound you can get away with boardies and a rashvest.
There was plenty of demo gear last year, but I would suggest taking anything from 7m to 12m to get you out riding everyday,( with this quiver I rode everyday last year).
I would definately hire a car/truck, there are so many down winders to be had and lots of other awesome spots around where you guys will be staying.
Also the shops are not very close, so it will be handy to have it to get to these, you’ll need plenty of beers for those after session hot tub parties wink
Compressors for you set up with on the grass outside your appartment, an easy launch onto an epic spot, where the water stays around waist deep for miles.
I personally only rode the sea side a couple of times, but they do get a good swell roll in there!

You won’t regret going on this trip, the amount of demo gear that was there last year was un real, every size of every kite and board that Ocean Rodeo offer, it was an awesome experience.

I hope this small amount of info helps.

Craig

Signature

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo Uk
Blankforce Kiteboarding
Blast Kiteboarding
http://www.craigsmith.me.uk

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-02-28

PM

Hi,
Anyone from Toronto area going down and wanting to carpool or airtravel together and rent car from Norfolk?
email me billy(AT)kitepassion.ca
thanks, Billy

Joined 2011-04-21

PM

Hmm any word and carpooling to and from the airport?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-05-12

PM

I know in 2011 there was no ride provided to and from the airport, but I can speak for this year.

I have booked my flights WOOHOO!!

Arriving at ORF 2:45pm Saturday
Departing ORF 5:53pm Sunday

If anyone is interested in joining me in a carpool around either of those times please let me know smile

Joined 2011-04-21

PM

Sounds good John. So we have accommodation starting Saturday night the 13th and ending the following Sunday at 11:30? I would be psyched to plan airport times/carpool around these days. I’m going to start looking for a ticket.

Joined 2009-11-20

PM

Booked me and 3 buddies flights, we Arrive in Norfolk Friday evening (staying the night in Norfolk)
we depart on the Monday at 11am (stay in Norfolk again for the sunday night)
This place is a PITA to get to, but everything i hear and read tells me its worth it!  I think our car will be full but if we get another one i will post if there is room for someone with similar flight times.

Better start pushing my training if im gonna kite 8 hours a day smile lol gotta make the most of it

Signature

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Trying to gather some Far East Crew from St Johns. I will be heading down on the Sunday- probably alone. From this part of the world it is 1/4 of the price to fly into Raleigh and make the longer drive than Norfolk.
See ya there,
Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-03-27

PM

I’ll be driving down from ottawa if anyone is interested in sharing the ride. email me at my username at hotmail