ANYONE USING THE ZEN UK SOUTH?

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Hey,

I am interested in trying the new Zen, (I assume its unchanged in basic design, just colour change from last year).

Using an increasingly knackered Jamie Pro at the moment and want summat new.

Can anyone shed any light on the ride?

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

someone was selling one somewhere - not sure what year. I’ll see if I can find it again

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

I rode the 06 often. It is a really nice board if you want to go freestyle. It is a kiteboard that feels a bit like being on a wakeboard (stable, lots of pop) which makes it easier to land high-powered tricks. The board has enough flex to absorb choppy water without being to flexi. The board likes to be ridden agressively. Further you can stomp your landings over and over again. We never had any of them snap.

I did not really like the straps on the 07 boards. However for 07 they have new adjustable 3d pads/straps which should give way more grip. For 2007 they have a new rounded rail which is nice too. And the looks…....just sick!

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Cheers Wouter,

Yeah the design looks amazing, much better than any of the 5- 600 pound boards out there. I am tempted by the oracle that is the mako pro but I want something that can take some abuse without killing my knees so the Zen is the one I think.

120 or 135 though, I am on a 130/40 Jaime proM at the mo, I am not sure if I should go any smaller, Im only 11 stone.

Thanks for the help dude.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

Yeah, i agree with Wouter - i’ve got the 135 Zen (I?m 180lbs ? without full wetsuit) and it has a lot of give on the landings and because of its concave and thin rails, its great on loading hard before the ?liftoff? and does just pop really easily - though lose any speed and you sink.
I don’t know a lot about boards and its the first kiteboard and only manufactured board I?ve owned and ridden -but I?m really happy with it.  Its fairly narrow at 37cm so like all the OR range - got to be powered when riding- not a problem with you Ben! - but anything under 15knots with my 12m and I switch to the home-made plywood 150 by 42cm i made this summer.

It would be great to know how the Zen compares to the Mako Pro.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Just give me a few days and I will have the Mako pro. This is going to be my board. The Zen is actually of my kitebuddy but I spent quite a few sessions on it. I can do a comparison with the Mako pro for you in a few days. Up front: it has to do with your rider style. I am mainly into boosting / waveriding. However I love looping that sucker as well. Will get back how the Mako pro handles this as soon as i tried it.