Can you pls explain the differences between the Freeride and Fusion bars with a 2012 Razor?

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

I’ve been checking out both bars and I’m not sure what the practical differences would be with a 2012 Razor?

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi VikB,
The Fusion bar has a mini 5th line to leash off to whereas the Freeride has a trim loop.
Main differences are: the mini 5th on the Fusion bar is an extra line through the bar the you have to like. Ejecting the Quick Release results in the kite depower completely to the front lines, with the kite still connected to the leash with the mini 5th line. The stopper stays on the same spot on the trim line.
The Freeride bar with the trim loop system is somewhat cleaner but upon eject the loop system needs double lenght travel of the bar and the stopper is moved up to the swivel.
I think the Fusion is a bit easier to operate. Then again, I personally prefer the Freeride as I just don’t like extra lines. Plus, it’s been years since I needed to eject, at that usage frequency I can live with needing to reset the stopper!

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Riding none . Eject as El Rudo says. Practicality you can get 2 fusion depower ropes out of a freestyle rope so half the price. You do need to replace the mini 5th line periodically ( Often forgotten until you loose your kite)

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

Thanks for the explanation guys. Got it!

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

As stated above the only difference is when you engage the leash - either ejecting or unhooking.

Technically I suppose you get more depower (further shortening) of the front lines with the Free Ride bar as more line is pulled through though I find the Fusion depowers more than enough.  I suppose in a major storm/gust or some situation in which you want maximal depower this may have a slight advantage over the fusion though the kites roll over onto their backs so well there is almost no pull. 

The benefit to the Fusion is that the leash activates on the “mini fifth line” so the regular trim lines are not engaged and pulled all the way through.  I find this much easier to sort out if you drop the bar while unhooked - simply hook back in the kite is ready to go just as it was before.  Also the “mini fifth” takes no load when riding so really is only under strain when you are on the leash - so I find it doesn’t wear much and I imagine less prone to breakage from weak spots than the center trim lines. 

Basically I recommend the Fusion if you unhook - its more than enough depower and much less fuss to get riding again.  Other wise it’s pretty much a tie I guess.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

If you loop a lot go with the free ride ... The mini fifth acts like a stopper if to many twists are left on it.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

If your unhooking a lot the fusion is easier.  It depowers the kite when you let go of the bar and is ready to go again with just the one line to feed back through the bar.  The freeride can be OK for unhooking if you rig it suicide, as in open the chicken loop and thread it through the large ring on the leash attachment then do your chicken loop back up.  Kite still goes to leash when you fire the chicken loop release, but not when you let go of the bar in a simple crash.  Your kite and sometimes you, will take more abuse this way as it will not depower much in crashes and it tends to hammer into the water more.  Rigged this way it will also not roll over onto its back after a crash and kill any residual pull like the fusion bar does.