shortening 2008 sle bar

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-10-14

PM

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience in shortening a 2008 sle bar? I have a 60 cm bar and I would like to use it on a 10 meter rise. My idea is to shorten it to 45 cm.
The bar ends are glued, no rivets used. I would like to know what kind of material is used for the bar - underneath the grip - and how difficult it is going to be to get the ends of the bar.
Information is much appreciated.

Image Attachments

bar.jpg

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi,
if you’re going to saw it down, you can first saw and then get the glass/carbon out of the plastic bar ends. I’m not sure whether there are rivets or not, they could be countersunk under the EVA padding.
Basically copy what you see om the original ends and glue the plastic back on. Use suitable 2 component Methacrylate adhesive, like from Plexus.
Before you go out with it, check the bar ends for pulling strength.
good luck and let us know how you go, pictures are welcome!
cheers,
Rudo

Joined 2012-10-14

PM

hi Rudo,
thanks for the reply. Not sure how to get the existing piece of bar out of the ends but I will fiddle around.
I can’t find the Methyl acrylaat here in holland but I will do a test using epoxy glueing the plastic ends.
I will make pictures of the process and post them.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi humsurf, ik heb een voor je berichtje achtergelaten.

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2008-03-29

PM

dremel tool works great to clear out the inside of the bar end.

epoxy worked great to adhere the ends on

Joined 2012-10-14

PM

Herewith my images how I shortened the 60 cm bar to 49 cm:

the 60 cm bar before “molesting”

cutting the first bar end

drilling out the remains of the bar from the bar end.

both bar ends cleaned out.

bar cut to size and eva foam removed to fit both bar ends

glued the foam back in the hollow bar to make sure the glue for the bar end is not squeezed into the hollow bar

The glue I have used is methyl acrylate. Many thanks to Rudo! grin
I understood that this glue bonds better with the hardplastic end caps than epoxy…

use enough glue for proper bonding - so much that you squeeze some out.

tadaa, bar shortened to 49 cm. The bonding of the bar ends to the bar is tested by hanging on one of the ends with my weight, with hooking the other side to the topside of a door.
A bit scary to start this project but it’s pretty easy to do. It’s alway’s good to know your gear.
Thanks Rudo and Jtrashy for your advice!