Freestyle Bar Depower Range
Posted: 08 October 2012 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-11-15

G’day All
I purchased a new 10 Razor with Freestyle bar last year and im just starting to get some time on it now.
After coming from a 9m 2012 rise i strait away noticed a Lot more power and unfortuantly im at my cofortable top end a couple knots sooner than i would like.
My Question is; does the freestyle bar utalise all of the depower available on the kite or would changing to one of the other bars get me more depower and wind range?
Cheers
Daniel

Posted: 08 October 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

The free style does not have the range of the freeride . This is easily overcome by adding an extra pig tail to the rear lines on those windy days. It could also be that the Razor does not have the top end of the Rise.  The 9m Rise is superb on top end though as you have found it is not so good on the bottom end. The 10m Razor is approaching the 12m Rise territory so if you think what the 12m would work in and add a couple of knots you won’t be far off

Posted: 08 October 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

Well spoken mr. Sunrise! I might like to add that the 2012 Razor does have a very well behaved high end that is available at an arms length of depower so it’s probably down to the bars like you suggest. As for the 2011 Razor, the high end is a bit less.

Posted: 08 October 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

I’ve been able to do this comparison with the Rise and yes it’s definitely down to the bar. You can really pull in on the depower on the bars with the cleat below the bar itself whilst your limited to the travel on the strap on the freestyle bar.
When I get a chance I’ll measure the physical difference between the front and back lines when the depower strap is hauled all the way in. It should provide a little bit of useful insight.

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 08 October 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-11-15

thanks guys
that was meant to say 2012 10m razor and 2010 9m rise by the way.
i did used to have the freeride bar on the rise and from memory i think it could give maybe another 5cm of depower compared to the freestyle. and im sure that the razor would still fly well with that extra depower.
im now wishing that i purchased the 9m insted but ahwell.

‹‹ Rule of 3      Tips for first time to Maui? ››