Flite 17.5m and SUP
Posted: 19 August 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2011-04-13

The month of August has been crap for kiting here in Nova Scotia- fog and no wind!  In desperation, I tried something new yesterday- the Flite 17.5m and SUP (NAish Hokua 9’5”) in the waves.  In 5-8 knots I was riding upwind easily.  A SUP is not a fast board like a race board so you’re not going to build a lot of apparent wind but the lulls are no problem, just hold your balance and wait for wind. Just don’t drop your kite! Towing into little 3 ft.waves with a kite and such a large board was really easy and more fun that you might think.  Very chill.

The SUP/ Kite combo does open up something totally new- safe and easy transportation! Just bring a paddle for back up.  Next chance, I’m going to try island hopping in Chester, Nova Scotia.
Always fun to try something new.

Posted: 20 August 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-12-06

Odly enough, this is called SUKing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXagmcIvZ0

Posted: 22 August 2012 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2011-04-13

SUKing is ...... a terrible name.

Watched the vid.  It’s white capping in the vid. and I’d be on a smaller board for sure.  A bit of a novelty, but I was pretty surprised to be riding upwind in 5-8knots.  A friend of mine has a Speed 3 12m (standard fabric) and was having more trouble keeping it in the air than I was w the Flite 17.5m.  Another friend has a Cab. Crossbow 16m and can’t keep it in the air in 5/6knots without working it while he tries to get on a raceboard.  Soo, pretty impressed w the Flite- flies normally in v. light wind.