5th line on my old bronco
Posted: 21 November 2006 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-20

I recently got an older 9m Bronco (2003 I believe), and I’m wondering how I can hook up a 5th line to it :shock: .  There are no visible attachement points or anything.  Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Posted: 21 November 2006 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-01-18

theres no reason to add a 5th line to an 03 bronco. The bronco was designed as a 4 line kite and is easy to relaunch as it is.

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Posted: 21 November 2006 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20

Thanks for the feedback Brian, I’m a beginner and a friend suggested the 5th line as a safety…we’re kiting mostly on snow (don’t know if that makes a difference).  What if I MUST get a 5th line for it…any ideas then?

Posted: 21 November 2006 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-10-13

It would be tough to put a 5th line onto it yourself unless you know someone with an industrial sewing machine and you have the right material and can shift or remove the bladder so it isn’t punctured- i got hold of a 16m O3 Bronco and just decided it wasn’t worth the effort for the age of the kite. I thought that really strong glue might work, but i wouldn’t want to find out under the wrong circumstances!! So cancel that!

I’m sure you could send it into OR for them to do if thats the way you really want to go, but thats time and more expense than the kite is worth.

You’re also going to need a snow ‘6th’ line which the 03 doesn’t have attachments for either i don’t think.  (You need this for relaunching when the kite crashes LE down),though in the learning stages it would be better not to be snow launching by yourself.

Otherwise i’d say your best option is to get a 9m/12m One - sounds like its a great kite and would be very good to learn on and much better suited to your needs including the obvious safety advantages.

Signature 

http://www.destinationkiteboarding.com

Posted: 21 November 2006 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10
[quote author=“mk”]Otherwise i’d say your best option is to get a 9m/12m One - sounds like its a great kite and would be very good to learn on and much better suited to your needs including the obvious safety advantages.

I agree!

Actually though, you can 5th line an old Bronco pretty easily.

You will need:
- Q Power Line x roughly 7 or 8 feet
- 2” (wide) climbing webbing x roughly 2 feet

How to:
- Pump your Bronco up and lie it LE tube down on the grass.
- The T2 (main) strut meets the LE Tube and on this older style kite there is actually a gap between the T2 Strut and the canopy material right up close to the LE Tube.
- Wrap the climbing webbing around the strut and tie it off using an overhand knot (be sure the webbing is flat, ie not twisted, you are using this webbing to spread the load)
- Form a small loop on one end of the Q power line and tie an overhand knot to sinch it in place. Feed the Q power line through the climbing webbing loop and double the line back through the loop to attach the line to the webbing.
- Run the q power line straight back away from the LE tube towards where your bar would be.
- Terminate the end of the Q power line with another overhand knot to make a loop similar to the oposite end.
- Make sure this Q powerline terminates in line with your Front Pigtails on each side of the kite. (That is, draw a line from front pig tail to front pig tail and make sure the Q power line ends where this line crosses)

Attach your 5th line off on this Q power line!

John Z :evil:

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 21 November 2006 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20

Good stuff Johnz! Thanks for your advice, I’ll give it a try.

Posted: 25 November 2006 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2006-01-09

Been off the forum for awhile so missed this one.  John nailed it with how to do it.  I have seen some guys locally do exactly the same thing and it works really well.  For the snow the fifth won’t help with re-launch unless you can dig your feet in and pull it to get the kite to flip but as a general safety line it works fantastic.

Posted: 02 January 2007 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

I missed this thread as well. I use a fifth on my old 9 Bronco just so I don’t have to remove the fifth line off my bar every time I ride the small kite. The loop around the strut is also a great spot to clip on your pump.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…