mako 150 as for light wind ?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

hi,,

just bought a 150, 2012,, 

I’ve already ride 150 x 34 since 2006..

got a 130 from last year !!  geee,, I love this board,,

I was wondering if the regular 150 mutan can be okay as a light wind board ?

any tips,,?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I think you can give us the answer after a few sessions.. I suppose you’re a light weight..
I owned a 150 and after that a 140, the 150 had a slightly better low but the 140 felt much better (in jumping and rotations)
My opinion on the low end; I think the 150 will have a better low on TT stance then on mutant stance.. I think you hit the brake too much in mutant stance..
But please try it and let us know!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

The 150 Mako (wide) is my light wind board. Mine is not a mutant capable model. I get on the 130 as soon as the wind picks up. It sure is easier to change boards rather than kites !!! p.s.: I learned to kite on a 150x34 Mako prototype & have been a Makoite from the start. I find the wide 150 works much better in light winds than the narrow one. My weight 185+ ... Kiters on race, surf & skim boards seem to be able to do a little better in light winds however !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

makogirl - 29 May 2012 01:22 AM

\
I was wondering if the regular 150 mutan can be okay as a light wind board ?

any tips,,?

I have a Mako 140 & 150. I used to own a Mako King.

The 150 has better low end than the 140, but I find that the rocker/concave don’t make it a great lightwind board. Certainly not as good as something with a flat bottom and the same length.

If you own it - just ride it and you’ll see how it works for you. If you were looking at buying one as your lightwind board I’d steer you to a different product.

safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-01-31

PM

I have a 2011 Mako 140 and just purchased a 2012 King in May. I love the King in light winds on Lake Michigan (10 to 15 knots). I weigh 165 lbs. I ride it twin tip if I’m staying in the same location and mutant for downwinders. It allows me to work on lots of different transitions in chop/small waves. We rarely get flat water on Lake Michigan. I think the 150 would work well since you are probably much smaller than me. The larger Mako lets me slow everything down and pick a nice roller/ breaking wave to play on. Riding twin tip also lets me work on weakside toeside turns without losing speed when coming around. The big mako’s are way more fun than light wind barndoors. The King replaced my lightwind glide. I ride it with a 12 meter Slingshot Rally and spend afternoons playing in 12 knot winds.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-05-09

PM

I,m 225#‘s and the 150w is my heavy air on shore chop slop go to board, good waves and side shore Naish Global, little waves light air can’t beat a Sector.