2007 (14m) ONE!! - AKA 2007 ONE REVIEW Post!

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to have my first rides on the 07 One today.  As you already know, we have completely redesigned the 16M for this year, and added the 14m to the mix (Ross is my favorite person in the whole world right now). I’m going to start by apologizing for what is going to sound like boasting, but I’m not. I’m just telling you outright…you will experience for yourself soon enough! :shock:

I am blown away by how good this kite is in light wind vs the 06 model. I was the only kiter out, and yeah, I weigh 150lbs , was going downwind on a surfboard, and the wind was only 8-10mph, but it was ideal for testing this kite. This kite is at least 50% better in these conditions than the 06. There is no comparison in turning speed, overall responsiveness, stability in ALL areas of the window, and, generally, how kick-ass this kite reacts and feels…. I managed to get planing on the way out, and catch some nice waves on the way in.  Relaunch was a piece of cake, even with the kite wet - just pull the rear line and she rolls right over. Bonus - single point inflation now, reducing setting up time by at least five minutes.

I’m not going to get technical, so don’t ask, because all I really care about is how the kite works. Needless to say, I will go to bed with a smile on my face, eagerly awaiting the opportunity to pass the kite around and jump on the 07 9M if it kicks like it looks like it might tomorrow…

In case it’s not obvious, this kite does not have the graphics the retail models will.

Lastly, when factoring sizing into your buying decisions (get your orders in for December delivery), this is a BIG 14m,  so my advice would be to order this vs the 16M unless you are one mother of a big dude.

Wind condition here:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?regionID=138&siteID=225

Kite:

Cheers, Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

evan is that a proto you have in the pic and if so is that the release version?? or have there been any mods to it??

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi Brian, this is not a prototype. It is a sample of the production version - that’s the reason for the lack of color/graphics - no mods that you won’t find on the production kites. LOL

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi All,

I had my second day on the 14m today. in much better conditions. I was able to jump right in on the Mako Surf, and ride upwind in about 12 knots. Over the next three hours, the wind increased steadily, to the point where I could have rigged my 9M and been powered. The peak gusts were about 18/19 mph.

Graph here:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?regionID=138&siteID=225

The kite performed exceptionally well at the top of it’s wind range (for me at 150 lbs, and riding side-shore waist to head high surf). I could simply park the kite high and out in front, sheet the bar out, and rip bottom turn after bottom turn. 

Props again to Ronan Gray for the photos!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Is anyone else excited!!!

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Check the blog for a few more pics:

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/blog.php

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2006-10-28

PM

Wassup!

Ive had my new one kite for about 2 weeks now and its awsome. Had ordered a 8m diablo but didnt come into country on first shipment so tryed the 9m ONE and am still loving it. There is power through the turns which is what made me buy it, most bows seem to lose all power through turns and just pivot but not the one. Was out yesterday about 25knots was on 9m with good amount of depower still felt very safe, if it was my old kites would have to have changed down to 7m. Jumps where bigger than I can ever rember but found I had to downloop kite on way down otherwise I would kinda get droped. Loads of power when I unhook and still getting used to that abit!

Awsome, Just Awsome

Martin

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Marty H - Welcome to the Crew! New Zealand in the house!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

This kite is insane!

To all you guys who?ve been riding the One and saying this all the time ? well I feel like I?ve been missing out and you were right!

I didn?t think the Bronco was a bad kite and my experience riding other kites is limited but I am amazed by the overall feel of the 07 9m One. 

Stuff most of you know already, but really this kite is smooth and responsive, light and powerful, floaty ? for sure, quick yet forgiving and harnesses the wind beautifully!  And I was amazed how similar it felt to a C - just minor differences.

I?ve taken it out on the snow three times now; first time about 8 knots, then 12 to15 knots on a lightly snowcovered lake and then in solid 22 gusting to 30 knots in a large field of about 2 feet of snow and just loved it.
I was solo reverse lauching on the very windy day and compared to snow 5th line C launching it was difficult with a lot of force on the back lines. It also didn’t do the material holding down the scuff pads any good as the snow had a bit of a crust- but the kite held up really well considering the abuse it took in the two long sessions i had that day.

The punch up works well too -as i tried it out to get the feel - the kite dropped out of the sky and i was easily able to reset it - still keeping the screw loose. So was good to find out how it works and impressed by its effectiveness and simplicity - and in my books this is 100% depower.

This One really is a confidence booster with the depower and forgiving feel - especially on light snow on the lake.  I liked it for looping the kite while landing jumps transitioning into a turn.  The jumping took me a few times to get used to with the sheeting in and out to gain height but then heck this thing flew! and when the wind is strong you just have to sheet the bar in and you fly.

The single inflation is great too ? not just time saving but hassle free and efficient and a great addition. And the bar also feels really good and easy to handle though i have got it wrapped around itself a few times when i was trying to launch, pulling on different lines. But just have to be aware of it.

Yes, you can say ‘I told you so’?.Now for anyone else not sure, I?m telling you ? this is the One.

Mark
?One? Over.

These are my ‘Boxing Day Specials’ at the lake

New and the old…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Welcome to the Crew Mark!

Thanks for the photos!

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2006-03-03

PM

Hey Mark,

Great pics, looks like a super place to snowkite, bit crowded though eh?

Lester

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I agree, that looks like a great place to snow kite with the One, and what a great day too!  8) I have been demo’n a 12m One for a couple weeks now, and its really a fun kite to play with. I’m having good success getting big air with a broad sweeping power stroke, and transitions are just amazing.
I’m not sure whats going to happen to me mentally when the demo is over. :cry: I might go nuts!

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

Just a handful of us kiteboarders up here at the moment and a few more windsurfers in the summer but its gaining momentum.
Yeah its a great spot and has some good fields nearby with a bit more terrain which adds another exciting dimention for snow. I’d would love to find a spot in the Rockies like i see these guys in the Alps, but there just seem to be too many trees around!!

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-01-29

PM

9m one

Hey, just a little note on the 2007 OR one 9m. I am 180lbs, middle of the road rider (still learning) and have recently purchased a 9m one. The wind for me,(the sweet spot on this kite for my weight) is 25-35 knot. I also own a 12m one that I use basically for everything but the most extream wind. The 9m turns crazy fast and is very direct feeling. In 17-low 20s it is great in the surf and is very responsive. With the new 2007 sle bar the stopper is great, making downloops or any other untwisting of the lines done on the fly (without worrying about the punch out going off!). It is also great to lock into the power to give your arms a rest while riding! I found that jumping with the nine meter is optimal in 25 plus winds for maximum boost and hang time. Insanely easy to relanch (again great in the surf quick relanch) Lots of depower for catching waves and eating gusts. The first day trying it out was extreamly gusty. Lulls of 5 and gusts of 30 (inside) while outside was lulls of 10 and gusts to 40! There was only a handfull of riders out that day, with ocean rodeo being the dominate kite in the air LOL  The one pump makes easy to decide to come in and change gear rather than riding overpowered for the day!  :o   Taking far less time to rig than the 06.  My two bits. (Jeffery) the Yukon Kid         Can’t wait to try it on snow!!

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Nice one Joe!

One of the first rider’s reviews of the new stoppers!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc