Q about Back Line Length adjustment
Posted: 30 April 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-12-29

I think I need to tune my bar. I got new lines and during my last session I noticed a decrease in power during the session, while the wind seemed to pick up.

Should I adjust the back lines with or without the “line extenders” or whatever you call them? I’ll try to explain: the flying lines end in a sleeved loop (at the kite). The back line attachments on the kite also end in a sleeved loop. There are the red and blue short little pieces of (thicker) line that go on the end of the flying lines to attach the flying lines to the kite. I can’t remember if they came with the bar or kite.

Anyway, they’re a few inches long, and would make all the difference in line length.

As all 4 flying lines end in loops and the drawing in the manual shows a screwdriver pinning the lines in the ground for back line length adjustment, I’m assuming without the “extenders”, but I would like to be sure.

Sidebar question: other brands say that you can also adjust line length by pulling on the lines to even them out: not all brands have back line length adjustment points at the bar. Any thoughts?

Posted: 30 April 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20

Yeah, take off the extenders, or the “kook-proof connectors” I think they’re called stateside.  Put a screw driver or something through all 4 loops and peg it into the ground.  Run the lines out and with no trim and the bar pulled back, all 4 lines should be the same length.

I would adjust using the additional knots at the bar end, or making new knots if required.  I wouldn’t stretch a line to make it fit.

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Posted: 30 April 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

With the Depower on full power and the bar against the chicken loop all the lines should be the same length at the kite end ( As Vpas says ignoring the diddy extenders).

Posted: 30 April 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-12-29

Thanks guys, that’s all I needed. Almost all bars have the “same line length” principle, it was just about the extenders. Johnz take note and add a line to the manual! wink

Posted: 30 April 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Will do Feddo… thanks for that.

I agree with all tips above too btw!

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc