Mako 130 Wake Skate!

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Gonna take her out for the maiden voyage tonight if this wind holds… very excited by this. As many of you know the little Mako rips with good winds but I was thinking the other day, it would likely also make a super fun wake skate as it would be so easy to carve and small to ollie.

I’ll let you all know - and, if it’s a success - expect to see properly made stick down deck pads as an optional purchase with next season’s Mako Mini’s!

John Z

Building up the rails for a flat deck

1st layer (of 3) used to build up the tail kicks

Each layer of foam needed to be sanded smooth

Outline and kicks fully built up and sanded

Close up of the 1st layers of foam and one end’s kick up

Top deck pad laying down

Finished!

Finished #2

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-11-16

PM

That looks really sweet for sure! As an admitted beginner to kiteboarding my input should hold small value. That said I did come from a skateboard background so my one idea was probably unnecessary to voice being that this is an obvious prototype and I am sure it will be supper fun to ride. That said, what I have noticed in skateboarding was that sometimes to land a trick it is necessary to push prod or place your feet in areas of the board’s surface that you would never expect. When I do purchase a wake skate type board it will need to have the eve foam grip extend past the edges of the norm. An ideal solution would be a flat tail to 60up to 45down(tail kick) to flat midsection to 45up(nose kick) to 60 down. This would allow for better foot grabbage and flippage etc. Just a thought. /shrug

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Draz, we talked a lot about putting some foam grip on the nose and tail as well but I like your idea of having the foam rise to meet the kicked up tail sections rather than a pure drop off. I’m hoping to get out on this tonight to try it out but suspect you’re right that an awkward landing might make me wish I had grip on those sections. I’ll be sure to post my thoughts here so we can all follow along and I’ll be sure to share the board locally with anyone else wanting to try it out!

(Now, if only the wind was to hold… it’s dropping off right as we are wrapping up the work day here!)

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-11-16

PM

I think the sloped lead in sections would provide more kickability/flipability to the wake skate feel than a pure dropped back kick(or front kick), maybe some other more credible skaters would like to weigh in with an opinion! smile

another idea would be that the mako has such a smooth look and (people who ride it say feel) to it to add a bit of a roller to the kick. So instead say a 45 up to 45 down tail for examplel have a 45 up to hump to 45 down to provide a nice place to wriggle your foot for that ollie kick flip or whatefver, the Mako is all about comfort etc right?

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Draz, I really like that idea actually… 45 up, flat and 45 down. I wasn’t able to get out on it last night but hope to be able to soon… we are staring at a bit of a lull in the winds though unfortunately but will keep this thread posted as I do but the more I think of it the more you’re right, that solid sized hump would be sweet to have to push off of.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Dam… what a waste !!!  such an incredible board…  I don’t understand…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

makogirl - 24 May 2012 01:27 AM

Dam… what a waste !!!  such an incredible board…  I don’t understand…

That board was actually a rather heavily damaged Mako Mini that we repaired to make into the wake skate… plus, go gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc