Mako King for new guy?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-04-18

PM

I’ve posted this question on another forum and am not sure if it has been asked before here. I apologize for any redundancy.

I am new, 5’8/165 in an area with winds in the 12-25 mph range with light chop to 2-3 ft waves. I am working on getting upwind better and obviously still very new. I (sort of) ride a 140 cm board now and was told that a bigger board may help with my upwind learning. I know that technique and water time are the key, no piece of gear is a quick fix.

I am interested in a mako king, not only for upwind learning reason, but also as an intro directional board when I develop the skills. A large part of wanting this board is due to my perception that it has may options and variants, so I would be getting a board that I can progress on in many areas, not just upwind as a new guy.

Is there anything about the king that would make it a BAD idea at my level and interfere with my progress?

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

The King is Good, But for your size and the conditions you describe I would look at the 150 instead.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I don’t see a downside for you if you got a King.  In twin-tip mode it rides like a big board, but not too big.  It’s not a super light wind weapon - it’s much more versatile than that.  When you get used to everything and want to start riding directionals, then you can swap it to mutant mode.  The King is ridiculously easy to learn to gybe on.  I didn’t believe it when I was told so had to try for myself, and it’s really stable as you’re changing feet over.

It might interfere if you were looking to head exclusively into the world of freestyle, but as you’ve already hinted at going to directionals, I guess that’s not the case.

A couple of guys on my local beach pretty much ride their King in all conditions.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2012-04-18

PM

Thank you vpas. I’m not heading towards big tricks at all. I just want to cruise and play in some small waves. I think the versatility of the king, from everything I’ve read, is what I need. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Effortl less crusing , Good light wind performance , versatility and wave riding in either twintip or mutant mode The King is king.  When mine is out on demo always regret not having it to hand

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

The King rocks! great for what you are planning on doing with it.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

If you’re wanting to ride in mutant mode for hitting those little waves- definately get the King.  Just use the foot staps provided in mutant mode (the foot pads don’t give you the same freedom of movement or direct feel/ contact with the board) and play around to get them set properly as it makes a big difference.  Set too far back and you won’t get any ‘glide’ from the board while on the face of a wave and you’ll be missing a big part of the wave riding experience.  Also, riding the King in sloppy little waves is a good way to progress into wave riding and ...... it’s fun.

Also, you already have a 140cm TT, so the 150cm Mako will likely be a big overlap in wind range and it’s not as good in mutant mode.

Cheers

Joined 2012-04-18

PM

Thanks for the input everybody, I really appreciate it. I think it is just what I want/need. I can’t wait to grab one and get out there.

Jake

Joined 2012-04-18

PM

I managed to get a 2010 King second hand and got to try it for the first time today. I think I even accidentally went up wind a bit!  My walk of shame days are numbered. Very stoked. It’s going to be a good summer. Thanks again for the input everybody

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

That inexactly why I think this is a good board for beginners and experts alike. i was going topside almost at the same time as going upwind, the learning curve on this board is unreal!

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Stoked to see that Jake… I wish I could tell you the number of times I’ve heard similar stories of beginners going up wind for the first time on a Mako… the board naturally wants to carve.

Good luck and welcome to the Crew!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-20

PM

transcanadatom - 11 May 2012 04:10 AM

That inexactly why I think this is a good board for beginners and experts alike. i was going topside almost at the same time as going upwind, the learning curve on this board is unreal!

i completely agree with you!

http://Accieee.org