12m ONE tips / advice please
Posted: 13 November 2006 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Howdy

Just after some advice on the 12m One - Had my first BOW experience over the weekend and didn’t get on too well. Is the kite sensitive on the knots? Really struggled to develop any constant power and quite often ended up strangling the power - edging too hard?? Anyhow really struggled to hold my ground on the day.

Conditions were 15 - 20mph a bit up and down. I weigh about 85 kgs kitted out and was riding a Caution redline 142 and a beginner on water. I had been progressing really well with my previous C kites. A few others were on 12m Bows and getting on well.

On the plus side had a light wind blast on Sunday with the landboard - much much better - jeepers this thing can get you close to the clouds.

Not unhappy just want to get the best out of it so any advice is welcome

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 13 November 2006 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  473
Joined  2006-07-15

Noo way!

Dude,

It will take a few sessions to get used to the One coming from C’s, when I first switched I hated it at first but then fell in love with the thing.

The first method I found to get the best power from my one is to carry a lot of board speed. Any claims of bows having earth shattering low wind qualities is false, of any brand. I dont switch to my one until I am totally overpoered on my old 15m c kite, The One excels when other guys are on 13m kites and well powered.

When it comes to moving the thing in the air, sheet in to initiate the turn on the downsweep and sheet out a little on the way up to stop the kite stalling. When you want to initiate a turn on the kite, use a bit of back pressure on the board when pulling the bar, oh and dont be afraid of it tugging you off your edge, this is where the slower nature of the one comes into its own, oh yeah and keep the kite a little higher than a c

Your welcome to MSN me in the day, I will be at work but if I am not busy I will be happy to offer you further advice.

Keep at it mate,

Ben

Signature 

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Posted: 13 November 2006 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-10-13

Re: Noo way!

[quote author=“Benjamin Vine”]Any claims of bows having earth shattering low wind qualities is false, of any brand.

particularly the One as it’s of a heavier construction than say a best waroo. i find the One falls out of the sky before most other kites due to its weight,  but when the wind is this low no-one has the power to ride anyway so it’s not a big deal.

Posted: 14 November 2006 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Must admit I did have a quick blast on a 9m Waroo and a 136x43 board in about 15 knots (I think it was) Actually able to hold my ground. I think the board played a big part in that - very very very easy to plane and generate enough aparent wind (I must get one) - so there is something in it but sub 13 knots I wont even go to the coast, not worth the journey.

Back on topic though there should have been enough on the day. It was one of those days where my old 12m C should have been OK. So thanks Ben for the post and Richard at Seabreeze for the chat yesterday.

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2006 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Welcome to the crew Noo Noo!

Follow Ben’s advice and you will be a rock star in no time. Consider as well getting or making a bridle mod for the 12, as this will increase the turning speed of the kite and give you a better chance to “sine” it back up and keep the apparent speed up.

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 15 November 2006 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

many thanks JohnZ.

happy to be part of the gang. Amazing welcome and support from all directions so far and I’m really happy with the kite too. Over the weekend I was given the odd fleeting glimpse of what it can do…......... :shock:

The weak link is the organic matter holding the bar….............. :wink:

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  473
Joined  2006-07-15

[quote author=“Johnz”]Welcome to the crew Noo Noo!

Follow Ben’s advice and you will be a rock star in no time.

John Z

Yeah I’m a rock star! HAHA!

Seriously Noo, add me on MSN if you have any worries, I can also link you to other guys who have contacted me and are in a similar situation etc.. They can help give another perspective on how they learnt to love the beast.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Ben aka ROCK STAR!

Signature 

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Posted: 15 November 2006 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

[quote author=“Johnz”]

Follow Ben’s advice and you will be a rock star in no time.

Hmmm I will not wear platform shoes and I will not have long hair!!!  :D

Ben - seeing if I can do the sneaky MSN thing at work   :twisted:

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2006 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Just back from a session in VERY light wind. So light that I would have used my 14M Bronco…BUT I was keen to try my 12M ONE with the latest bridle mod. MAN am I happy with the result. To me the ONE now feels as stable as my old ‘C’ (bronco) kites…Praise indeed…Sure I walked upwind a few times but I’m no fly weight & I was out in just enough wind to keep the kite in the air to, at most, 12 knots.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 27 November 2006 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Thought I’d drop in a quick update on progress.

I’m slowly getting there. Not quite a Rock Star - Boy band gibberish maybe….. :oops:

Had a session yesterday at the bottom end of the 12m for me, about 14-15 knots I’d guess and starting to understand what this kite is all about. Board speed is a must and quite frankly in yesterdays light winds I couldn’t get my Caution 142 up to speed. During the odd gust things were fine but otherwise my upwind struggle continued. Did try a faster and wider board at the end of the day with better results but the wind speed was starting to drop further.

Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2006 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-24

Just a quick query

Do people vary which knots they use for the front lines depending on conditions? I’m wondering if people have noticed any difference in doing this?

thanks people

Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2006 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

knot for me fit and forget