Self Launch/Land with Hitch’en Post

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

OK, I’ve tried this method a few times (7-8) with a ONE 9 and 12, in our local spots (poor to awful launch spots) and I like it, well I love it really.  You simply hook the trim loop to a hook, or post or whatever, set up, walk to the kite put in the launch position and it just sits there while you wander back to the bar (check lines etc as you wander by), hook in grab the bar and go. 
So far ‘ve been keeping the stopper engaged and trim the kite so it sits up but does not fall forward (which is fine it just kills it). 
I heard this method promoted by Method Kites (J. Holzall), it only works with flatter arch kites and best to try it in decent steady wind.
anybody tried it, had it work, not work?

Signature

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2006-03-03

PM

yup works great, finally found a use for my old board leash, trimmed it down, secured a D-ring on, hangs off grab handle of harness when not in use.

Weigh your board perpindicular to kite with sand/mud/sandbag/litter/mother-in-law etc and clip it through the grab handle and secure to chicken loop with kite depowered. Handy to launch and self land if you are the last one out/1st in.

Lester rolleyes

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

yesterday at the beach the wind was weak so my mate and i spent the afternoon practicing hot launch direct downwind reverse relaunches and standard downwind hot launching (pulling the back lines for reverse and front lines for forward) it was quite entertaining.  smile

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

ya lester good idea, I just noticed this post on kiteforum, a longwinded explanation of using a sandbag as a hook but the video illustrates the idea perfectly.
http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2333812

Signature

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Thanks guys…I will try that with my 12m one…I have had some interesting moments with my weight bag caught in the bridle !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Worked o.k…Especially @ the end of my session ... I just let go of the bar & after the kite rolled onto it’s back tied the chicken loop to a post… More practice required on the launch !!! (gusty 15-25 knot 9m session…Alone)

Signature

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Hey y’all,
I yanked this off Dimitri’s new Eclipse site. It shows another way to self launch a bow. This looks good, especially if you have a sandy or grassy spot for the kite to rotate.

http://www.eclipsekites.com/kites/video.php?Video=self_laucnh

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Thanks Craig…I’ve been having trouble self launching…This should cure things…Update After watching the video a few times another option would be to set up your kite downwind after securing your chicken loop to a secure object…Say a line off a fence with a quick release or slip knot…This would eliminate the first skid of your kite to the downwind position.

Signature